40013 Andania On A Load Bank

The 16CSVT's fitted to the class 50's also have four turbo's. The class 40 power unit is basically like two class 20 power units joined together. There appears to be a turbo charger for every four cylinders on the class 20, 40 and 50. I have heard class 50's whistle, but nowhere near the extent of the class 40. The class 37 power unit is a V12 with two turbo's.

Dear lord (and its a good job I'm a pagan) i have a confession to make. I was the man who pressed the start button, on the day the Class forty appeal tried to resurrect Andainia, about 9 years ago. She ran for about 5 mins before throwing b3 (think) leg out the bed, and through the crank case door, just where i was standing.

Good to see the old girl back.

Gary

Dear lord (and its a good job I'm a pagan) i have a confession to make. I was the man who pressed the start button, on the day the Class forty appeal tried to resurrect Andainia, about 9 years ago. She ran for about 5 mins before throwing b3 (think) leg out the bed, and through the crank case door, just where i was standing.

Good to see the old girl back.

Gary

someone told me that d200 did the same when running in green in the 1980s at Aintree, cant find any evidence of it however.

the video is great btw. ideal for someone to do sound recording for DCC locos.

Load Bank is phrase I've heard on numerous accasions and I understand what it's purpose is, but how does it actually work ?

What is the process for replicating the load whilst the loco is stationary ?

The loadbank consists of a bank of resistors which replicate the load. The power is dissipated as heat. Some load banks actually use resistances heating water, although generally a bank of fans is enough to remove excess heat. The voltage and current readings are shown in the control room, allowiing the engine HP to be calculated, and the engine governor, fuel racks and fuel pumps to be adjusted to give the required output.

Archived