Hardwiring an old Lima class 20

NS Peak

Hello,

I am trying to hard wire a old lima class 20 for DCC without a whole lot of luck. The motor looks like it has 3 connectors with a capacitor linking 2 connections on the top of the motor and the normal pick up wires going to other connections. I had removed the capacitor connected the wires to the bogie feeds and pick ups where the previous wires were attached. No problems so far.....

I then tested it and it would not budge. I checked the connections there were no dry joints. I then thought about the capacitor I had removed if this was needed to complete the circut so I wired it back in and tested again. It then stuttered to life ran in both directions and then cooked the decoder.

Any pointers on what I should be doing? I have checked all the websites and previous posts for a fitting guide and come up blank. Tthe one I did find with pictures did not include the capacitor....

The burnt smell and smoke have now gone from the house and I would like to try again but don't particularly want to fry another decoder.

Thanks for your help.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Lenz decoders have short-circuit protection so tend not to go up in smoke - I've never had one do so!

What decoder did you initially install? The Hornby R8249, for example, provides only 0.5 amp of power which might not be enough for an older Lima model. The Lenz Standard+ provides the full 1 amp.

Hello, I was using a Trainsave decoder due to the separate wiring harnes as ironically I did not want to cook the chip while soldering. The Trainsave is rated to 1amp (upto 1.5 amps peak) and I checked the current draw first and it appeared to be within that range. I had used this chip before when hardwiring and had good results. Otherwise living in the Netherlands my

Local model shops mostly stock ESU decodes however even the basic model can set you back 30 euros so I tend not to risk this when hardwiring.

Stephen

Archived