NuCast T14 in 00 gauge, Better than the rest!

I was delighted to receive this NuCast rebuilt T14 kit!! I was told that it's the end of the line for NuCast so I ordered a few kits before they became unavailable! And the T14 turned up today!

And it is so much better than the horrible old Jedienco T14 I have just eBay'd!!

post-6794-0-94331100-1340813683_thumb.jpg

Now some of the moulds are knackered as can be seen by the flash but the footplate is immaculate. I have built one of these before and fought with it but luckily I took some notes, The struggle is with the slidebars and brackets. Thus I have splashed out on a set of the amazingly nice Markits milled crossheads.

Chunky chassis goes together in two hours. I know this engine will run OK.

post-6794-0-99751600-1340814266_thumb.jpg

post-6794-0-67281100-1340814309_thumb.jpg

I was delighted to receive this NuCast rebuilt T14 kit!! I was told that it's the end of the line for NuCast so I ordered a few kits before they became unavailable! And the T14 turned up today!

And it is so much better than the horrible old Jedienco T14 I have just eBay'd!!

post-6794-0-94331100-1340813683_thumb.jpg

Now some of the moulds are knackered as can be seen by the flash but the footplate is immaculate. I have built one of these before and fought with it but luckily I took some notes, The struggle is with the slidebars and brackets. Thus I have splashed out on a set of the amazingly nice Markits milled crossheads.

Chunky chassis goes together in two hours. I know this engine will run OK.

post-6794-0-99751600-1340814266_thumb.jpg

post-6794-0-67281100-1340814309_thumb.jpg

John

I see they are using the same type of box now as GEM, and the chassis looks to be far better than the earlier brass bar type.

I now see the merit of using up to date parts with older kits, decent motion sets are far better than whitemetal castings, and I guess in some cases even using Comets (or similar) cylinders could be safer option with some kits. I think I should look in the future to replace certain parts rather than use sub-standard items.

I for one am looking forward to following this build.

And here is one I made earlier....

post-243-0-73326900-1340819248.jpg

Heading west past the shed on Fisherton Sarum

post-243-0-33807800-1340819446.jpg

And back towards London...

Lovely. But BR livery on a loco by GM???? OVB is turning in his grave!!! :O

The moulds on this old kit have had it. Mind you it is still build-able if you are prepared to take the time to clean things up .I am going to have to spend a lot of time fettling the boiler and smokebox.

Luckily I took some notes when I built one of these a while back. The motion brackets, slidebars and crossheads are the kits Achilles heel!! Tricky to say the least! The brackets are in fact far more prototypical than the Jidenco T14 kit I abandoned but they are a nightmare to sort. Any one building one of these please note: Do not fix the slidebars into the rebate in the brackets.Set them out a bit or you will never get the crossheads to run!

post-6794-0-22417600-1340902091_thumb.jpg

Crikey, the moulds are shot! Looks like it has been cast by the bicycle wheel and stretched innertube method... :mocking_mini: As I never got to paint one of these for te box lids, I am wondering when the Paddlebox entered the NuCast range and who produced it originally.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely. But BR livery on a loco by GM???? OVB is turning in his grave!!! :O

Hi John

As I model the period 1946 to 1949 a number of my locos are in early British Railways livery, usually still in Southern Bulleid style 'Sunshine' lettering, and often they are still in Southern livery on the other like my T14 so I think OSVB can rest in peace.

Hi John, that's a lovely loco. I've been keen to scratch-build one of these in it's original form in 7mm for a while and am fascinated to discover there have been a few 4mm kits. They look as though they were quite heavily modified throughout their lives. I'll be following your build with great interest.

Cheers

Simon

Where's the swear box? Eventually the chassis is up and running. I have no doubt that, unlike many kits, the person who wrote the instructions did actually have a go at builing one. Unfotunately he/she decided to ignore the kit errors leaving the builder to grapple with altering the parts so as to get it to run!!

post-6794-0-82953800-1341156193_thumb.jpgpost-6794-0-82953800-1341156193_thumb.jpg

Too many errors to bore this thread with. Any one who has onbe of these kits and would like a copy of my notes need only to PM me.

PS: Two photo's? I know not why.

• RMweb Premium

Good to see a NuCast Paddlebox again, I built one many years ago, some photos of it here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40467-heres-one-i-made-earlier/

It certainly does look as though the moulds have deteriorated since then, I seem to remember most of the castings as being pretty much ok. The massive smokebox was particularly good.

The biggest headache was mounting the slidebars on the outrigger (and getting them horizontal) and making the valvegear look as though it went through the footplate correctly.

One thing I never found was a drawing of the loco in this modified condition, Railway Modeller published one in original condition.

It makes a hugely impressive model, of a very unusual looking loco.

Best of luck,

Dave.T

Impressive loco I was almost hoping you would have a go at the Jidenco version, just to show it could be done :no: .

Years ago I had a go at the original version in tinplate on a Triang Princess chassis, which was in turn butchered into something else

LS Vass produced a series of RM articles on LSWR locos in the early 1970s, including an article on building a T14 which included fairly basic drawings of the original and rebuilt locos.

He seems to have had some 1st hand experience of the class as he wrote of being on a train that was rescued by a rebuilt loco that had been purlioned from a freight.

John

Good to see a NuCast Paddlebox again, I built one many years ago, some photos of it here: http://www.rmweb.co....i-made-earlier/

It certainly does look as though the moulds have deteriorated since then, I seem to remember most of the castings as being pretty much ok. The massive smokebox was particularly good.

The biggest headache was mounting the slidebars on the outrigger (and getting them horizontal) and making the valvegear look as though it went through the footplate correctly.

One thing I never found was a drawing of the loco in this modified condition, Railway Modeller published one in original condition.

It makes a hugely impressive model, of a very unusual looking loco.

Best of luck,

Dave.T

Superb Dave! The only error that you have made that stands out is that these loco's did not have smokebox hand rails as rebuilt by Maunsell.!!!

• RMweb Premium

Superb Dave! The only error that you have made that stands out is that these loco's did not have smokebox hand rails as rebuilt by Maunsell.!!!

Thanks John,

Yes, I was wondering recently where I got that idea from! Although I'm sure I saw a photo of it at the time. It was a LONG time ago.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Just done some searching, and in the Bradford Barton SR Loco Survey Drummond Classes book there's a photo of T14 No.462 in this condition with a horizontal handrail.

All the photos I've seen of other rebuilt Paddleboxes have the normal curved handrail.

I can't remember why I modelled No.460 in that condition (never seen a photo of the front of it) Maybe because it was easier! And it was reasonable to assume that some other members of the class may have had that pattern handrail.

Cheers, Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Very sadly the Gentleman who ordered this loco died before I finished it. In good grace I refunded his deposit to his widow. I bunged it on eBay but got no takers. Which is a bit weird because the the last NuCast T14 I sold on ebay made £500 and this one is 100% better?! In fact I like it so much I think I will hang on to it. Room in my stock cupboard being made by outing a grim Bowen Cooke 0-8-2T with a DS10 motor! (I did ask the wife if she would be prepared to allocate me more space but got no joy.)

So that's probably the last commission I'll ever take on unless the customer is under 50 and in good health!!!!! Oh well, that's life (or death!!)

post-6794-0-50705800-1342962790_thumb.jpg

John

I know slightly how you feel but from the other side, I was rushed into hospital 10 days ago. I had finished a turnout for a chap in Canada but it needed wrapping up. He is fine about the extra wait (had my phone with me so I could email) and will post it to him today. Things do turn out for the best though and at some time you will find keeping the loco was just what you needed

Archived