BNSF Phoenix Sub Local

I've been cruising around the web looking for inspiration for a small photo diorama (Max 4' - Hang on that would be a full size layout for Jack Shortliner..) for my growing collection of BNSF stuff.

I came across this site and whilst Loco oriented it's great. It shows off BNSF liveries from Pink Panthers to Green former BN....and a variety of Frankenstein locos, NOW. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

http://www.aeromoe.com/local.html

Cheers, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

As well as interchanging with the A&C BNSF runs a switch job south from Hobart yard to the industrial area and (I think) onto the UP yard and return. On my railfanning trip to Phoenix back in 2008 I was lucky enough to catch the return trip just south of Hobart

Cheers

Dan

The scheduling is pretty intensively worked out on the class 1s.

It has to incorporate interesting quirks like the different EPA Tiers in the different states, so Arizona for example is happy to use dirty old chuggers like GP35-GP38-GP60 whereas California is trying to clean up the air in the LA Basin, so the new green goats et al are replacing older switchers pretty quickly, especially during the current down-turn.

Pete, thanks for sharing.

With all those bluebonnets I was hoping there might still be a Kodachrome in the mix, but I didn't see one. Some really mankey looking warbonnets though. I wonder just how long it is since they saw the inside of a paint shop.

Pete, thanks for sharing.

With all those bluebonnets I was hoping there might still be a Kodachrome in the mix, but I didn't see one. Some really mankey looking warbonnets though. I wonder just how long it is since they saw the inside of a paint shop.

Santa Fe finished in 96, so its likely warbonnets haven't seen a paint shop for a decade and a half.

Some of them aren't in bad nick, particularly up in the Pacific North West where somebody still loves them, but in the heat and dirt of the southwest they age badly. The red especially is almost pink on some old motors now.

• RMweb Gold

The red especially is almost pink on some old motors now.

While I have doodles for a layout in this area I can't bear to turn the red pink on my warbonnets! Pelle Soeborg covers it in his weathering book and very effective it is too but then I can't backdate it ;)

Superb collection of pictures for weathering and patching reference, thanks for the link. I need to look up some decals for patching my blue SF models to BNSF.

Archived