Spotting at Barnetby

With the weather not looking as if it is going to get any better in the foreseeable future I think it is time to head off to Barnetby.

I've been planning to go visit since the tip end of last year. YouTube has produced some really good videos & from talking to a few people they say it really is a freight hotspot & I really want to photograph some freight action.

I have a few days spare at work to take when I feel like so I think whilst the weather is warm it is as good a time as any to visit.It's a 2 hour drive over the Pennines & I would prefer to do it in warm rain than cold because I only have a motorcycle for transport :P

What I want to know is what day is best to go if there is one & what time of day is busiest because it's a long ride & I really wouldn't like to do a 4 hour round trip to see very little.

Cheers,

Simon

• RMweb Gold

In my experience when I've visited on a weekday it's usually pretty steady so your chances of seeing very little are unlikely.

I've been meaning to visit again soon too to enjoy the sight of semaphore signals and heavy freight before they dissappear from this part of the network.

Oh well if it is a steady flow I don't need to be up at the crack of dawn although if clocking 60 means getting there early I can live with that.

I'm probably one of the few who really likes the class 66 it stems from seeing the foster yeomans as a child at Westbury so there my thing :)

Simon

I don't want to wee on anyone's stawberries, but my last TWO visits to Barnetby have produced very little other than units.

I suppose there MUST be someone out there who likes his train to look like a runaway carriage, complete with corridor connection....

Last visit was a month ago, arrival at Melton ross around 1700, leaving at 2030, saw THREE freights, all maroon 66's.

Previous to that, I had an afternoon there, all of four hours and saw THREE freights......I guess I'm just lucky. :no:

Archived