The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rare bathroom accessory

Welly

• RMweb Premium

It's a rather embarassing question and I will lock this topic or request deletion when I have the answer.

Someone I know has a problem with frequently blocking the toilet with very large dark matter that cannot be flushed unless it is broken up first. A wire coat hanger is not acceptable because that will scratch the porcelain and look ugly when left by the side. Bamboo canes are not hygienic.

I saw many years ago in someone's house ( I cannot remember whose house ) a white plastic stick like a toilet brush but with a hard rubber wedge at the end instead of bristles for the purpose of breaking up excessively large dark matter before flushing.

I tried to google for this kind of thing yet could not come up with the right terms to describe it.

Anyone know what the thing I described is called and suggest where one of these can be obtained please?

Guest 838rapid

is it a plunger??

you should be able to get one from a plumbers merchants or diy stores

Dont know why i have underlined this ,doing it on its own lol

• RMweb Premium

No it's not a toilet plunger or auger that I am looking for, these deal with blockages whereas the one I have in mind prevents blockage.

• RMweb Premium

^^^

Thanks for the suggestion, I googled algae scraper and had a look at some of them, they appear to have something like a scrubbing pad at the end of the stick which unfortunately makes them unhygienic for the purpose I have in mind.

I tried to google for this kind of thing yet could not come up with the right terms to describe it.

I believe Christopher Robin had a device.

This has to be Post of the Day; much mirth.

• RMweb Premium

^^^

I'll bear in mind the spade ideas but the tool is narrower, the better to get to the very base of the bowl. I forgot to mention that the tool I have in mind sits in a stand like the brushes.

• RMweb Premium

I believe Christopher Robin had a device.

This has to be Post of the Day; much mirth.

I did google poo sticks out of desperation and only came up with Winnie and blankets!

All you need is a piece of bendy plastic. When all my kids we living at home many years ago in my old house, we frequently seemed to get log jams. I had a length of angled plastic remaining from what was used to seal between the bath and tiles. It went round the bend and cleared any blockage.

Do you live in a hard water area? If you do, then the problem may be exacerbated by a scale build-up at the bottom of the U-bend, and on the top of the hidden bit. We have had this problem sometimes, with the flush being rendered inneffectual by the friction around the bend. A heavy attack with a strong descaler (I sometimes use HCl, sold in French supermarkets as a PH regulator for swimming pools), coupled with a wire scouring pad attack (after flushing away the descaler, of course) generally gets rid of the problem for a while. Good luck!

• RMweb Premium

Go pyrotechnic to break up the offending item;

I'm more inclined to use a grenade but I don't want to have to wash the walls down afterwards!!!

Do you live in a hard water area? If you do, then the problem may be exacerbated by a scale build-up at the bottom of the U-bend, and on the top of the hidden bit. We have had this problem sometimes, with the flush being rendered inneffectual by the friction around the bend. A heavy attack with a strong descaler (I sometimes use HCl, sold in French supermarkets as a PH regulator for swimming pools), coupled with a wire scouring pad attack (after flushing away the descaler, of course) generally gets rid of the problem for a while. Good luck!

Not a hard water area as much as a hard stool area, by the sound of things. (Some might call it tough S**t.)

• RMweb Gold

Your best bet is to have a bucket of water to hand, use this first from some height to hit the object and break it up, then flush to remove residue, the bonuses are you don't have to handle and clean the plastic stick thing you put down the bowl and there is no scratching of the china.

Kitchen spatulas are available in a variety of materials and colours these days but do make sure it's sufficiently different from ones own utensils to avoid the horror of opening the cutlery drawer when visitors are there to realise there's been some form of re-organisation. Having an occasional culprit in the house leaving Red October behind the solution has been to send the offender back once they're out of silent running.

• RMweb Premium

^^^

Thanks for the suggestion, I googled algae scraper and had a look at some of them, they appear to have something like a scrubbing pad at the end of the stick which unfortunately makes them unhygienic for the purpose I have in mind.

You need the algarde or tetratec which are designed to hold a scraper or plastic blade.

Archived