Departmental wagons livery, BR '48-'67?

• RMweb Premium

Good evening,

I am ready to apply transfers to some n gauge departmental wagons ive been working on and today at Hartlepool I purchased David Larkin's 'civil engineers wagons vol 1, BR '48-'67', which I thought would help with getting the right markings and location for said markings for the wagon types I'm currently working on.

However this has thrown up a big question, he states the livery as black overall with straw lettering, but all the transfers available are yellow, or some in white, which appear to be correct for the short lived Indian Red livery. No where in the book have I seen mention of any Yellow markings, so why do all the transfer companies only do them in yellow and not straw?

What do others think, do you use yellow or white transfers for black wagons?

On a final note I am tempted to do a couple of wagons in the next batch into the Indian Red livery, does anyone know if this colour is available from Railmatch or Phoenix?

Any help or thoughts would be gratefully received,

Many thanks, Richard

Good evening,

I am ready to apply transfers to some n gauge departmental wagons ive been working on and today at Hartlepool I purchased David Larkin's 'civil engineers wagons vol 1, BR '48-'67', which I thought would help with getting the right markings and location for said markings for the wagon types I'm currently working on.

However this has thrown up a big question, he states the livery as black overall with straw lettering, but all the transfers available are yellow, or some in white, which appear to be correct for the short lived Indian Red livery. No where in the book have I seen mention of any Yellow markings, so why do all the transfer companies only do them in yellow and not straw?

On a final note I am tempted to do a couple of wagons in the next batch into the Indian Red livery, does anyone know if this colour is available from Railmatch or Phoenix?

Many thanks, Richard

The Gulf (Indian) Red paint is available from Phoenix

Michael

Good evening,

Many thanks, Richard

BR liveries are difficult to research. So much so that mentioning liveries is avoided! By 1957 the lettering is "Yellow lining paint" on the black. Is straw really so different?

Mike Hughes is correct on using "Gulf Red". I have no idea why Dave calls it Indian Red. I have the painting instructions for the brief period when Gulf Red was in use.

Modellers have a problem with those of us who recorded the real thing. We know, from both observation and talking to staff that BR and the many private wagon repairers weren't so bothered about accurately following colours - not least because the mixing instructions give ranges for how much of any one component of a colour should be added to the mix.

Paul Bartlett

Archived