Innaccuraces of the Hornby ScotRail 156 - anyone tried to fix them?

Hello,

First post here, and I'm very much a beginner in model railwaying (not even got a layout yet!), but am by no means a beginner to the big railways themselves. There are many models on my wishlist, not the least of which is a ScotRail Class 156 either in Barbie or Saltire livery. However, as I'm sure many of you know, there are a few obvious inaccuracies about the model. For those who are confused about what I'm on about, see this:

2i0ynfp.jpg - Hornby model

294m45c.jpg - Real thing

The most obvious difference (besides the plow obviously) is the window on the door. Would a single paint job would do the trick, or would the window need to be removed and the gap left behind infilled?

The second striking difference is the "eyebrows" located underneath the destination screen are unpainted on the model. I would think these would be more simple to fix than the door window, surely.

Now, has anyone taken a bash at fixing this model up? I would love to take a bash at such, but am very queasy about it as these models are expensive and I'm very poor. If you have fixed them up...how?

Thanks.

Guest stuartp

The solid yellow door on the real thing is actually a fly-screen covering the real door. As built it was a clear material allowing you to see through it via the window in the real door, but in practice it can only be cleaned by hand, the driver doesn't actually need it, so of course nobody bothered and they soon became caked in scratches, dead flies and brake dust. They also broke quite easily hence the decision by some TOCs/ROSCOs to replace them with metal sheets. When the units are coupled they form the lining of the gangway to stop you getting mucky on the rubber bellows while the real door closes off the secondman's side of the cab. I think one of the detailing companies (Shawplan ? A1 ?) does an etched one but it should be easy enough to make one from a rectangle of 10 thou styrene painted yellow with a slot cut out for the door handle, without any danger of damaging the model.

While you've got the yellow paint out a fine brush and a steady hand will take care of the window frames, although you might need to go over them a couple of times.

There are more improvements you could make later if you wanted to, mostly to the solid underframe, but the basic shape is pretty good.

Hi-

Doing a Provincial liveried 156 myself, the Hornby model if you didnt already know is the ex-Lima model. The biggest work is on the underframe of the model which requires the box to be removed using a razor saw and the hole filled and all of the details rebuilt. If youre a beginner; looknig at the front the window frames being painted may help the appearance.. the centre door looks to be blanked off, so probably a very thin peice of plastic sheet painted Warning panel yellow will fix that problem .. The Snowploughs you can add from Hornbys 153 model but youd have to find a way to mount them ... finally the BSI couplings would need to be modelled as well, I scratch built mine which is easy t odo if you have the time and patience ... and further help myself and others will be able to assist you, ill upload a picture of my model shortly

NL

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I certainly won't be scratch building anything as I have no knowledge on anything like that (I know nothing of DIY) so I'd most likely purchase anything required building off of someone else.

The underframe I know about as well, but I feel that those mentioned above are the more pressing inaccuracies. If I ever would get these fixed, I'd likely pay someone well-reputed to do the job.

I'd like to learn, but as I'm no good at reading things on the intenet and putting them into practice, I'd need a class or something.

Hi- The only kit availiable if you can get ahold of it is the Hurst models kit, but the kit fetches really high prices on Ebay and in all honesty certain parts of it arnt all that good anyways.. Hurst also do the BSI coupling or I think I may have a few spare if you need any, They also do the Door covers as well but the story is the same with these in that theyre not always in stock (being a part time business, with the owner having a full time job from what ive heard) however, a simple painted thin peice of sheeting is probably all youd need to cover the door

As promised attached are pictures of my 156 showing what can be acheived with this model ( lot of parts require advanced skills; underframe, added panelling to vestibule covering, snowplough)

NL

post-3095-0-09432400-1342645010.jpg

post-3095-0-20622200-1342645022.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived