Beginner needs help with 8x1 design

pompeystuart

Most grateful for any help. I'll class myself as a beginner, but really im returning to the hobby after many years out. I've inherited some baseboards from my late father, who sadly never got round to starting his layout, and im keen they are put to use. The boards measure 8ft x 1ft and so im after suggestions of where to find a suitable design, ideally based on a prototype, ideally in the southwest.

I model in OO, so think the maximum amount of lines i can achieve is 3 across the width, so that the boards don't look crowded. Im not worried about a station (and was thinking about having a small part of platform sticking out from the fiddle yard end). As i think a 3 track width is the most, i therefore lead to an inglenook, which will also help keep me interested. My era is early 1980's, so plan to use a Class 08 and Class 25 as my motive power. I've built a few van's, so would also like maybe a goods platform/shed.

Hope i haven't been too vague, or am asking too much, but would welcome any suggestions. Most of the prototype plans i can find are either too big for my space, or too small and boring. I don't want any more than 3 tracks wide and most likely 3 or 4 points max.

thanks in advace

Sounds like an interesting premise -what sort of on stage/fiddleyard ratio are you thinking -5:3-4:4?-5:3 would give a respectable train length without overcrowding the scenic section.

The original inglenook was designed for swb 4w wagons & small tank locos-the extra length available to you would allow longer wheel base and bogie stock to be used -would be most surprised if a 3` fiddle yard coundn`t hold a 25 + 4 100 ton tanks.......

R.E number of tracks-3 is spot on for that width-will allow for road vehicles between tracks and just enough `beyond the fence` to frame the whole thing.

Just off the top of my head,how about a variant of Ian Futer`s Newcastle N.B layout-The original was an island platform urban pass. terminal with a kick back road from each side-lose the platform,replace the `Y` turnout at the throat with a 3-way, slew the outer tracks out..gives you a centre arr/dep line,poss. low relief warehouses along the back lines,poss. tank discharge along the main front track -maybe a small engineers depot on the kickback....Should provide sufficient operational challenges to be able to overlook that it is neither prototypical nor in the south-west,but I`m sure with a few beers and some reference material a suitable location could be imagineered..

Good luck with it

ATB

Many thanks for the info and encouragement. I'll be sure to take a look at the layout you suggest. Its also a really good point you make about fiddle yard space, I'd kind of assumed I could use 6' for the scenic section, without actually realising this only leaves me 2' for the fiddle yard, which isn't really enough. Thanks again. Hopefully these posts are the start of my layout development and I can post my intended plan real soon.

My first attempt at a layout was 8'x1' and I can advise that it's a reasonable space.

see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52642-easterleigh-fuel-terminal and http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53377-modern-depotcommuter-station-in-00 (both closed topics) for examples of where I was going with this size of layout.

I've since been able to persuade my wife to let me expand to the L-shape in my signature (8' long x 7' 4" wide x 2' deep)

I'm also a fan of post-2000 era, so you probably won't run into a lot of the issues that I did! :)

Further to the above,,on initial reading,I overlooked the `bit of platform sticking out`-could take one of the kickback roads behind it as a bay -poss parcels/newspapers ??-would then give an extra full length off-stage siding-slip a couple of BG`s or CCT`s on and off again without crowding the yard.

2nd kick-back track could also make a loco service point-predictable I know,but gives an excuse for extra locos to come in for a top-up..

Just musing briefly-the platform end suggests a goods yard beyond a passenger station,a long narrow site-South-West-lots of little quays and harbours in them parts.......Finish the front edge as a quayside-a couple of Dapol/Airfix crane kits,split a yard of N gauge track for their rails, stick em over the front track,Bonded Stores & warehouse in half relief at the back--should open out the traffic potential,as a transhipment point as well as a destination/departure point in its own right you can ,within reason,justify all manner of stuff.......another pint anyone ?

• 2 weeks later...

Some really helpful comments, many thanks Gents. This 'Futers' guy seems to be the guy to keep an eye out for, seem to be the master of small layouts. I had no ideas myself, but was worried i'd find a layout i liked and just copy it....its nice to have such a large selection, i can take the parts i like from each to create hopefully my own masterpiece.

Think im definitely going to go with some sort of bonded warehouse, i like the idea of moving vans abouts. The New Quay layout has tempted me with a platform area, don't know if to use this for just vans, or actually have some sort of passenger platform. DMU's don't shout lots of shunting potentially, but certainly seems more prototypical for the area im looking at. Think im gonna take my time, see if i can knock up a couple of shortlisted plans and i'll stick them up for comment.

Thanks again for all help and assistance, much appreciated.

Archived