class 08 shunters at bournemouth

were there any 08's that regularly worked at bournemouth in the timeframe 1987 to 1997? or were they allocated to eastleigh and worked over to bournemouth? i ask as it wasn't an area i visited much then.

i am re-painting a OO scale 08 into an approximation of S&D blue livery, btw.

so far, i have drawn a blank with old 'platform 5' books and can only find a photo of 09.025 at hamworthy c. 1987.

trevor

Bournemouth was changed quite drastically in 1973 when the Bournemouth West station was demolished to make way for a road. At that time the triangle formed by the Bournemouth West lines joining the main line just on the Up side of Branksome station was electrified and converted to an MPD. Up to that time any diesel traction was basically shedded there and fuelled there but any mechanical maintenance required a run to Eastleigh. OK for the 33's but no go for the 08's and 09's which would struggle up to about 25mph max ( 08's about 19mph ).

There were no other facilities at Bournemouth for goods traffic long before this and Hamworthy was used as the drop off and pick up point for goods from Poole Harbour and the myriad sidings that served that line. There are pics of Class 06 shunters using the Harbour line and the traffic was already at a low to non existent ebb before 1973. That line still exists and is still used somewhat sporadically but no shunting takes place at Hamworthy or indeed Poole Harbour itself and I think Poole Harbour Commissioners are responsible for any shunt movements within the port boundary but have no facilities or locos to do so. I have seen a weedkiller train on the Harbour line and can only assume that it is parked there rather than active from the location.

There were no fewer than eight 03s allocated to Bournemouth in the early 1970s with several of them outshedded at Weymouth (for the quay and general shunting). These were gradually transferred away or withdrawn and the under-used Bournemouth station pilot became an 07 (from Eastleigh). Later still, 08s and 09s did any remaining work in the area.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Archived