Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Portraits of Urban Decay

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

For many years I've been fascinated by urban decay, dereliction and degradation in built-up areas. I find it an amazing subject to model, and am always drawn towards perhaps the uglier side of life. After many years it's now (rightfully) very 'in vogue' in terms of railway modelling, but my interest goes beyond that.

I've long been a member of photo sharing groups and websites dedicated to the subject, but never thought to really share details with others on here, there is a slight disconnect with railway modelling, although it struck me that actually it might be of great interest to others on here, and perhaps some of the great photographers on these websites are even railway modellers themselves!

There's tons of great websites dedicated to the subject, but here's a few that have caught my eye recently - I'd encourage anyone to keep digging more into the scene, its truly fascinating.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/manvil/7586165870/in/pool-69148305@N00/lightbox/

http://industrialdecay.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eholubow/6861333664/in/pool-69148305@N00/lightbox/

On Facebook I'm a member of this great group: http://www.facebook.com/indecay

I don't know why, but what interests me most is the human side of dereliction - while I love seeing photographs of factories with colossal rusting machines out of use, what really gets me are little human details like the dirty coffee mug left on the side or the calendar on the wall, still left on the day the site closed.

There's some great websites and videos dedicated to Chernobyl and the abandoned town of Pripyat following the disaster - I'd genuinely love to find a safe way of visiting the place one day to get a feel for it!

Not just great modelling inspiration, but so, so much more.

I could go on for hours talking about these things but I'll refrain...just have a look at some of the many galleries out there and hopefully some will find it interesting! :)

Cheers,

James

Guest 40-something

Hi James

Im fascinated by urban decay as well, here is a couple of websites I often visit...

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/

I grew up in an area of Glasgow (Springburn) that had seriously declined from being "locomotive builder to the world" to mass unemployment, violence and rampant addiction within a matter of a decade. Consequently there were plenty of old factories and yards (and streets of derelect tenement houses) abandoned and decaying as I explored them when I was a lad, I think this is where my interest stems from. These 2 sites are great for reminding me of my childhood!

I'll have to explore the links you have posted, at work at the mo and the meanies block most photo-sharing sites!

Interesting thread subject. I too have an attraction to urban decay. As a kid I used to play around on wasteland and in dis-used old cotton mills on the outskirts of Manchester - and derelict locations became a favourite with the car magazine photographers I worked with back in the '80s. Needless to say, my preferred modelling era is the last decade of steam when locos and stock were as unkempt as their immediate environment.

There's some great websites and videos dedicated to Chernobyl and the abandoned town of Pripyat following the disaster - I'd genuinely love to find a safe way of visiting the place one day to get a feel for it!

There are tours available, such as this one. It's not a recommendation as I haven't used them myself, but I'm seriously tempted!

I love modelling urban deriliction, its surprising the amount of 1950s/60s era layouts that are nicey nice and hardly ever have any remnents of WW2 damage, such as wide spaces, derelict buildings, EWS signs etc..

7167781806_435dc6c1bc.jpg

Crown street Liverpool model 1960s by Michaeldelz, on Flickr

5638039343_d5642b3a0a_o.jpg

LIVERPOOL CROWN STREET GOODS : EM GAUGE by pix42day, on Flickr

Yep, one of mine too. At Warley it brought back memories that I didn't know I actually had, so perhaps it was peculiarly evocative of the genre.

Hang on, what's the Leith masterpiece, that features some game-raising dereliction. Baltic Street?

Yes, EDIT, here we are: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41309-leith-baltic-street/page__st__25

Not quite as artistic as the OP's links, but Braddock, PA is the poster child for urban decay in the US.

I once saw a very nice Flikr stream on Braddock. A couple more googles and I might be able to find it. This one has some nice pictures but I don't think it is the one I was thinking of.

To me, a realistic depiction of dereliction/urban decay would need a very keen eye for detail, both in the prototype and in the modelling. The colouring of the scenery and the detailed detritus would need to be spot on to be convincing.

Dennis

You can count me in on this too.

I've taken loads of pics of grotty factories and run-down parts of 'town' in this country and abroad.

Happy to share if anyone wants copies. (I don't have any sort of on-line photo account)

steve

Hmmm...'spose I'd better put my money where my mouth is...

post-143-0-78117100-1343156295.jpg

post-143-0-73390200-1343156325.jpg

post-143-0-41997600-1343156352.jpg

post-143-0-36007400-1343156385.jpg

Just a few recent(ish) ones. The first 2 are Leven (Scotland) and the others Selby (Yorkshire)

steve

• 2 years later...

From a thread I recently started looking for information on the West Croydon - Sutton line (London):

post-17811-0-96991800-1422182267.jpg

Back of North End shops on the London Road railway bridge, seen from West Croydon station, Sutton end

© Copyright Kake Pugh and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Edit: I'm amazed this thread has been dormant for so long. I would have thought it would have blossomed. For modelling inspiration, we're not all into rolling hills and green fields...

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Here's three photo's taken in October, 2008, of the old tannery in Beverley. It was in quite a state after several years of disuse. Now, on that site is a housing estate and a new college is in the process of being built there as well.

post-22631-0-72093800-1422226334_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-53810900-1422226357_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-96421800-1422226379_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

From a thread I recently started looking for information on the West Croydon - Sutton line (London):

attachicon.gifpost-17811-0-00049800-1421959521.jpg

Back of North End shops on the London Road railway bridge, seen from West Croydon station, Sutton end

© Copyright Kake Pugh and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Edit: I'm amazed this thread has been dormant for so long. I would have thought it would have blossomed. For modelling inspiration, we're not all into rolling hills and green fields...

When I pass under structures like this, I see the toilet pipe and wonder what the hell the bog on the end of the pipe must look like!!

Archived