fitting dcc chip to Hornby mk2 ringfield motor

joseph

hi.could anyone please tell me or show me how to fit a dcc chip to a Hornby mk2 ringfield motor.. ( it is the motor without screws holding brush arms) .... thank you ..

Hi Joseph,

I've edited the title of this posting, your previous title simply showed Joseph which would probably not attract the answer you are seeking.

Regards,

Mod3

Hi

Basic Ringfield conversion is shown on my web sites DCC page.

Remove all wires from both brush strips and unsolder and discard the capacitor across the two strips. Keep all wires in their 'sets' if there is more than one wire on a brush strip.

IMPORTANT>>>Test the left-hand strip to the motor metal and left strip to all the motor wheels, using ideally a multimeter set onto its OHMs range. Or use a battery operated buzzer with two test leads. There must not be any reading or buzz with any test. If there is a reading/buzz then the source of this MUST be removed BEFORE the decoder is connected and power applied. Failure to carry out this test and there is a connection to the left-hand strip will result in immediate decoder failure as soon as DCC is applied!

Once all is proved to be OK solder the decoders Orange and Grey wires to the brush strips One to each strip. Join the red decoder wire to one or one groups of wires previously removed.from the strips. Cover in-line soldered joint with heat shrink tubing slipped on before twisting the wires and soldering, then once soldered slide the tube over the joint and shrink it down with the aid of the hot soldering iron. The decoders Black wire will either connect to the other wire or group of wires removed from the other brush strip or if there was no wires then the Black decoder wire will have to be secured to the motors metal chassis. How you do this is up to you. - Use an existing screw already in the chassis so as its loosened and the black wire wrapped under the screw head and its then re tightened, drill a small hole (ensure no drilling swarf can get into the motor) and fit a small self tapping screw and again trap the decoders black wire under the screw head or tap the drilled hole and fit a suitably threaded machine screw and again trap the wire under the head as the screw is tightened.

Secure decoder securely ensuring its circuit board cannot touch anything metal and tidy all wiring. Place loco, with its top still off, onto the programming track and set the new address. If all ok place loco onto the main line and test it. If it runs the opposite way from that shown on the DCC Console reverse the Orange and Grey wires only. Or alter the read value of CV29 by adding 1 to whatever has been read e.g. CV 29 reads 6 so make its new value 7.

• 6 years later...

post-19958-0-32282800-1535375961_thumb.jpg

Can anybody help me. I have a Hornby R 078 King Edward I which is tender driven. I am trying to place a DCC decoder in it.

I have removed the capacitor, the red wire from the motor, which comes from the pick up pin. However when I went ti remove the black wire from the motor both ends came of. I am trying to locate the pin for the wire to connect to. I know it is not the pin second to top because the black wire looped around this pin before disappearing into the darkness.

According to Hornby service sheet No.104 it is a  "Tender Drive Motor Type 3" and further investigation I think I have type A of the two options.

I look forward to your replys

Thanking you in anticipation

King George V

post-19958-0-32282800-1535375961_thumb.jpg

The other end of the wire you talk about would have had a wider spade connector on it, this is because it slides over the rectangle bit which is cast onto the motor block, about centre of your picture

• 4 weeks later...

Archived