The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Absolutely amazing.

DDolfelin

It creeps into the language without being noticed and ... suddenly it's with us.

Everything is AMAZING!

Not just amazing ... it's Absolutely Amazing.

Little children describe their crayons as absolutely amazing.

Adults find absolutely everything amazing.

There is a plus side to all this amazement.

It's replaced 'fabulous' to some extent.

How does this happen?

TV, I suppose.

Incredible and absolutely amazing.

....More irritating than the words themselves is how they're sometimes said? As if everything were a question? Even when it's not?

The "rising inflection" habit began in Australia, I think. Spread to the US, and now everyone's infected.

…More irritating than the words themselves is how they're sometimes said? As if everything were a question? Even when it's not?

Especially when finished-off with the word 'yeah?'.

'Mega', is another one, which, thankfully seems to have peaked but unfortunately has been replaced with 'über', yeah?

One which used to mildly irritate me, but at the time appeared to be limited to the fashion students at my polytechnic university, was 'oh, how divine'. "So, you're going to watch the Sex Pistols and stand at the front where you're guaranteed to be gobbed on and possibly have a bottle smashed over your head… oh, how divine!" (Said with genuine enthusiasm.)

"but we are so like model railway peeps and like omg cuz its sick what we do like with these trains an stuff it makes us all look sweet like and cool it's amazing like yeah sound."

Sorry couldn't help it from a youth off today

I don't mind "absolutely" so much. It's how everthing these days is "literally", or "basically".

If someone's telling you a tall tale, "literally unbelievable" lets you egg them on while saying what you really mean at the same time.

Archived