A Steam Train Passes

DavidB-AU

EDIT: Only a month after I originally posted this, Australia's National Film and Sound Archive completed a digital remaster of this film and put it on YouTube. I have updated the media and bumped the topic.

A Steam Train Passes from 1974 is without a doubt Film Australia's best work, generally regarded as Australia's finest railway film and possibly one of the best short films ever made. Apart from the obvious subject matter, it is an outstanding piece of film in its own right which is why it won dozens of awards at film festivals around the world. The cinematographer was Dean Semler who later went on to films such as Mad Max 2 and 3 and Dances With Wolves. The renowned composer George Dreyfus wrote the original score. The first segment is a 1943 newsreel, with the rest filmed on location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uFJs-xoTMM

Cheers

David

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just watched these, very enjoyable. The original reminded me a bit if the classic BTF films of the 40's, 50's etc.

Curious to know what year this was filmed, there was a quick screen title in the out-takes film that said 1974, but the general "feel" of the original film seemed earlier.

Douglas

Just watched these, very enjoyable. The original reminded me a bit if the classic BTF films of the 40's, 50's etc.

Curious to know what year this was filmed, there was a quick screen title in the out-takes film that said 1974, but the general "feel" of the original film seemed earlier.

Douglas

The film was made in '74, but the whole atmosphere was designed to resemble the 1940s.

Taken from Wikipedia:

The main part of the film shows the train travelling through the New South Wales countryside through disparate locations including the Sydney suburbs, Hawkesbury River Railway Bridge and Picton loop line. These scenes are interspersed with vignettes of life the 1940s including a travelling salesman, a country wedding and soldiers in a pub,  all linked to the train journey.

Curious to know what year this was filmed, there was a quick screen title in the out-takes film that said 1974, but the general "feel" of the original film seemed earlier.

It was filmed in June and July 1974. The locations and scenes were very carefully staged to give a feel of the 1940s.

Little known is that much of the filming was done in secret with the cooperation of local railway staff and without the knowledge or permission of head office. Commissioner Phillip Shirley, a British import who had been one of Beeching's lieutenants, had imposed a steam ban in April.

Cheers

David

Archived