Roxey Mouldings O Gauge Loco Kits

I am pondering to change scale - from N gauge all the way up to O gauge, thanks to my failing eye sight.

Searching for an appropriate loco for my projected small ( 9´ by 2´ ) layout, I came across Roxey Mouldings LSWR O2, but I have no idea on the quality and detail of their kits.

Is there someone around with experience in assembling Roxey Mouldings kits?

Hi Ulrich

I have searched the GOG data archive for reviews on Roxy kits but could only find those on Southern EMU's, which were complimentary. The Loco's, I believe, are made by Albion Models and marketed by Roxy. Roxy has a very good customer care reputation and a phone call might elicit some more information to assist you.

I also looked for Albion Models and found three reviews. 2 were complimentary and one less so but the designer rejected most of the criticisms as the inexperience of the builder!

Hope this helps

Regards

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy - it´s a help to make up my mind.

As money is really tight these days, I´d like to get as much info as possible before cashing those those 250 £ for a kit (incl. motor, gears, and wheels). Add to that the cost for painting and lining, you are up to 400 £ - a big bite from my railway modeling budget.

Hi,

The 02 kit has known problems and is approximately 9-10mm short overall. As I picked one up cheap from eBay I went to the trouble of extending it which was no easy task. Apart from that one kit I have heard good reports about the rest of the range.

JF

The cast whitemetal O guage kits were originally produced by Loco Shop Models - but not available as kits, they were supplied RTR, which might suggest that they have been designed for ease of construction?

The Metro and 0-4-4 I think might be ex-Albion and are etched, and the two WD's were I believe drawn by Jim Snowdon.

Jon

The other options for an O2 are from Meteor Models and Alan Gibson. I have three representatives of the latter and can recommend the kit but it may well be out of production. Does anyone have experience of the Meteor kit?

Bill

Hello, Here is the meteor O2' made out of brass, the boiler is rolled and it went together very well, you get different versions of the IOW loco with a different bunker, or the mainline version, mine is a push-pull loco (The number should be 30182) with a lot of scratbuilt extras, all in all a lovely loco to put together, l hope this helps, good luck with your chosen loco........

post-7716-0-94375200-1344073809_thumb.jpg

I started the Loco Shop LBSC I3 Class over twenty years ago, and although substantially complete, it is still not finished. It is a trully terrible kit - I ended up replacing numerous parts with parts knocked up from scratch, because the originals supplied bore only a passing resemblance to the original - it is clear that there was little research involved in the production of this kit. At the time it was only kit available for this prototype, which is a particular favourite of mine, so I bought it even though it was (mainly) in white metal and I much prefer brass (or even better n-s). I am on holiday in Ireland at the mo but will post some photos showning a few of the problems on my return.

Here is my version of the Meteor O2. At £180 or there abouts. It is a very nice kit to build and does so straight from the box. It gives a good base for adding lots more detail. I will make another one for my self sometime.

post-13601-0-17180800-1344125806.jpg

post-13601-0-06971200-1344125835_thumb.jpg

Jon and Peter,

I am deeply impressed by either loco - you both did a marvellous job!

I just checked Roxey Mouldings web page once more. They clearly state, that the kit is 7 mm too short in the cab, thus missing the typical look of the O2. I am not yet decided which way I will go. I have some experience in assembling white metal loco kits - maybe time has come to try my hand at a brass kit.

Edit: A question to both of you - how did you do the lining?

The Metro and 0-4-4 I think might be ex-Albion and are etched, and the two WD's were I believe drawn by Jim Snowdon.

Jon, are you sure about the Metro - I recall looking inside the box of the Metro and seeing a substantial amount of whitemetal. In the end I didn't purchase it, though was tempted.

Jon, are you sure about the Metro - I recall looking inside the box of the Metro and seeing a substantial amount of whitemetal. In the end I didn't purchase it, though was tempted.

I think so, although I'm not sure I've ever seen one without paint, but Dave's website describes it as etched, and the 4mm version definately is.

http://roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/302/7l7-gwr-medium-metro-2-4-0t/

Jon

What I don´t like about some of the kits, that you have to order wheels, motor and gear box from a separate source. That means double or even triple the postage to overseas for me, adding up to as much as 50 GBP to the bill :(

To my knowledge, Agenoria sell "all-in-the-box" kits, is there anybody else?

• RMweb Gold

According to their website Meteor will supply wheels, motor and gearbox with their kits, contact them first.

I've got their 02 kit to build, I have made a start on it and it seems good. I will be making some extra bits and bobs to further detail it but you do get a fair bit in the box. The only thing which irks me somewhat with kits such as this is the fact that you get all the extra bits for the myriad different versions which obviously must add to the cost.

I also found a complete (inc W/M/G) Roxey A1/A1X kit in my to do box the other day - I'd completely forgotten that I'd bought it. Without wishing to hijack the thread (and if the OP objects then I apologise) has anyone any experience of building this kit - I shall be glueing it together as my soldering skills with whitemetal are questionable.

What I don´t like about some of the kits, that you have to order wheels, motor and gear box from a separate source.

If ordering a loco from Roxey he will be happy to sell you wheels, motor and gearbox (and even paint) as he also usually has a good stock of these items.

What I don´t like about some of the kits, that you have to order wheels, motor and gear box from a separate source. That means double or even triple the postage to overseas for me, adding up to as much as 50 GBP to the bill :(

To my knowledge, Agenoria sell "all-in-the-box" kits, is there anybody else?

Roxey stock wheels motor and gearbox to suit their kits as well - selling them seperately allows those who have their own preferences to use them without having to buy the 'default' items, but if you want a single box with everthing in it, just ask Dave and he can supply,

Jon

Jon and Peter,

I just checked Roxey Mouldings web page once more. They clearly state, that the kit is 7 mm too short in the cab, thus missing the typical look of the O2. I am not yet decided which way I will go. I have some experience in assembling white metal loco kits - maybe time has come to try my hand at a brass kit.

Mine was done with a bow pen quite poorly, but it was quite a few years ago now. I think the newer ones are better.

I do not think you can get much better than the Meteor kit for ease of building. Tim Hughes is always very helpful too.

Jon and Peter,

Mine was done with HMRS pressfix lining. Never again, although I hear Fox lining is even worse than pressfix now.....

JF

A night´s sleep over a pending issue sometimes does wonders! I think I will go for the Meteor kit of the O2. I will send Tim an email, asking him to give me a quote an a complete kit, including wheels, pick-ups, motor and gear box - maybe also necessary detail parts to produce the Isle of Wight Steam Railway # 24.

tclarke014.jpg

Shopping from overseas ain´t so easy...

A night´s sleep over a pending issue sometimes does wonders! I think I will go for the Meteor kit of the O2. I will send Tim an email, asking him to give me a quote an a complete kit, including wheels, pick-ups, motor and gear box - maybe also necessary detail parts to produce the Isle of Wight Steam Railway # 24.

tclarke014.jpg

Shopping from overseas ain´t so easy...

Just waiting for Colin at Alan Gibson Workshop to finally re-release his 54ft LBSCR coach kits to go with my 02 now.....although I haven't found a source of the correct SECR ones yet.

JF

If my memory serves this was originally sold in 4mm as etchings only. It was sold by Albion though I don't think John Birch did the drawings. It might even have been Ron Cadman... I'll have to try and find the remaining bits of fret for mine and see if they're signed. I assume that when Dave H took over he added W/M castings for the missing bits?

Just waiting for Colin at Alan Gibson Workshop to finally re-release his 54ft LBSCR coach kits to go with my 02 now.....although I haven't found a source of the correct SECR ones yet.

JF

Roxey do some of the IOW LBSCR carraiges, I have some of their 4 wheelers and they look good kits (not built them yet)

Only SECR ones I know of are in the Bill Bedford range, never seen one hence cant comment on quality however the web site showed images of the etches, I dont know where the idea of a fully pannelled 4 comp brake came from, certainly not the IOW,

These vehicles were originally 7 comp brakes, the three removed compartments were plain sheeted over, not pannelled.

Pete

Archived