Kernow D600 Warship

MG 7305

Dear All

Is there any firm news as to when the D600 Warship will appear from the Dapol/Kernow stable? The Dapol plan mentions other joint ventures as being in the pipeline but the D600 didn't seem to. My first credit card for my preorder has long been cancelled and replaced by my bank, can I expect another to be replaced before the model appears?

Best regards

• RMweb Gold

Kernow are normally very good at keeping information on progress flowing via the website and weekly newsletter. They appear to take the (to me at any rate) eminently sensible line of reporting progress when there is something to report and advising changes of anticipated release dates when they have positive information regarding changes but equally sensibly not saying anything when they have nothing to say. So my advice would be to either keep an eye on their website and/or sign up for their newsletter (which quite often comes with various 'goodies' so is well worth receiving - depending on your modelling interest of course). That way you'll find out what is happening when it happens and you'll have first hand information instead of internet rumours and witterings.

And as for pre-orders changing or vanishing they have had mine for 2 x D6XX since the day they were announced and the last time I checked they still had them - so I'm not at all sure why a pre-order would be cancelled if your card details change (that only seems to crop up if they try to debit your card when the actual purchase is made as far as my experience with them goes).

This was my email to them on 10th July "Nice to see information on your commissioned 02 but I am curious as to the position with the Limited Edition Warship. I have seen no news of it for some time so does that mean it is delayed further or are we likely to see it on the advertised dates."

This was the reply they sent "We are still planning to have the warships out during 2013. As you can appreciate, without the ability to laser scan the real thing, the O2s are simpler and quicker to progress and will come out earlier.

I called in the shop in the summer of 2010(it had been announced that year I think) and I was told at that time that Dapol were putting all their effort into getting the LMS Twins out(for fairly obvious reasons) and I think they were well up on the Beattie Tanks then so the Warships would be delayed.

Reading between the lines I think it could be well into 2013 before we see them - there are more important things going on in the world so whilst its a little disappointing I am sure we will all survive without them for a bit longer.

• RMweb Gold

These sort of threads are getting a bit silly; in this case the information is clearly shown on Kernow's website, on this page of their website - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/category/1102/Diesel_Locomotives and it clearly says 'expected later 2012/2013' which implies to me that we are unlikely to see it before the back end of this year. So it isn't due yet, it isn't overdue, it isn't late because it isn't even expected yet.

As I've already said Kernow are good at keeping their website (and RM web via various routes) updated on progress but they only report progress when there is something to report (which strikes me as totally logical - I'd far sooner they spent time developing their commissions and running the business than updating their site to say 'nothing new to report'). Some of us have been waiting for a D6XX for a good 50 years (or even a little longer) and I'm quite happy to leave matters in Kernow's hands because I know from past experience that they keep customers informed of developments.

And while it doesn't apply here I must admit that I cannot understand why people aren't prepared to wait on manufacturers' etc announcements regarding progress with new releases. Nowadays most of them seem pretty good at keeping potential customers in the picture with images of CADs from some while pics of engineering prototypes and later stages of development seem to be common - when we see them we know progress is happening. All we have to do is wait or look at their websites and Facebook pages to find out what they have put into the wider world.

Yes - some models get re-scheduled and usually the manufacturers say so; yes - some models run late, but still we are usually told when they actually are on the way or getting close to it; and yes - some models are cancelled but we are either told or they disappear off manufacturers' etc lists. The internet makes keeping an eye on the 'original sources' remarkably simple, and they usually know far more than anyone else about what is happening with their products

Actually the information on the website is wrong, the D600s are being delivered next week but you dont need to worry because I have bought all of them and they will be available through my ebay site "greedy money grabbing b#%&£ds r us" at vastly inflated prices, there will be (very badly) weathered ones available for £2500 each, once they are all sold you will be able to contact me on my Carribean island which I will purchase with the proceeds.

I hope this information is helpful! :yes:

PS this is a joke, they are being delivered in a fortnight! :laugh:

Ok it really is a joke honest guv!

This post brought to you after consuming many pints of very fine beer because I am now on holiday for 2 weeks!

This will be my only silly post tonight so the Admin/ mods neednt worry.

Not so silly when you consider that this model was announced some time ago with a delivery date that if it had been achieved would mean we would now be holding the models in our grubby little hands.

They won't be delivered 2012/2013 because they have stated in their reply to my email that it will be 2013, so they haven't actually updated the website.As I said its not the end of the world but people are entitled to ask.

This thread has answered my question, which neither the Dapol website nor their latest announcements did. I must express some relief that the model will not be released until 2013, presumably after the O2, Western etc. This will allow my wallet to recover some poise after the expected assault by Hornby (42xx, 5205 and 72xx) and Bachmann with the Dukedog. Many thanks to those who provided positive information.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great news on the D6xx body. It all comes to those who wait :) Have had one on order almost since the project was announced. Keep up the good work folks!

Trevor

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great news on the D6xx body. It all comes to those who wait :) Have had one on order almost since the project was announced. Keep up the good work folks!

Trevor

Hopefully an N gauge version will follow in due course.

• RMweb Premium

"In due course" might be a very long time as things stand.  For what ever reason Dapol seems to have ground to a halt on these (apologies if there's work actually taking place behind the scenes) and other commissions.

My usual advice with Kernow is for those not already subscribed to join the newsletter mailing list.  Facebook and Twitter fans can also Like / Follow (delete as applicable) and sometimes receive news even sooner than the weekly email.

Regarding some delay, it would be surprising if it were otherwise. Person formerly leading the model development effort departs, suitably skilled new employees are found and engaged; and they then have to 'get up to speed' / 'read themselves in' / whatever term you favour for carefully discovering what the present state is and how best to proceed from this point. In the interests of the best possible models being produced, accepting that staff change will inevitably cause some delay is helpful, however unwelcome it may be.

• RMweb Gold

A while ago, I had cause to ring Kernow about another of their special commissions, which I wished to order. The gentleman - he certainly behaved like one - on the other end of the phone was at pains to explain that delivery dates were difficult to predict with any accuracy, and he hoped I wouldn't mind. When I suggested that the model would be mine when the postman delivered it, and that was just fine, he seemed relieved. Evidently some customers find delay to be unacceptable. Presumably they think Kernow has a magic wand to wave?

• RMweb Gold

So, let's play guess the delivery date !

I think we will be looking at summer/late 2015 given current progress? What do you think?

I think it's a total waste of time and effort bothering to speculate. Kernow will keep us informed of any significant developments as things move forward - they are very good at that and Gwiwer has already noted the best way of receiving such information from them.  Those of us who receive the weekly newsletter know just how useful and informative it can be, but very sensibly the newsletter doesn't waste space telling us there's nothing to report.

As far as the locos are concerned they will no doubt be here when they arrive - and not before.

I think it's a total waste of time and effort bothering to speculate. Kernow will keep us informed of any significant developments as things move forward - they are very good at that and Gwiwer has already noted the best way of receiving such information from them.  Those of us who receive the weekly newsletter know just how useful and informative it can be, but very sensibly the newsletter doesn't waste space telling us there's nothing to report.

As far as the locos are concerned they will no doubt be here when they arrive - and not before.

Yes, it is a total waste of time - agreed, it was a joke! Though seriously, I have over 25 special editions on order, so I hope they don't all arrive at once!

• RMweb Premium

... and time to spend it again!   ;)   ;)

That's a major problem Jeff!  Funds notionally assigned to the 600s went instead to the weathered 1000s meaning a) Kernow has even more business from me and b ) I'll need to assign more funds through the coming months for the 600s.  Then there's the gate stock, O2 class and who knows what else in the works expected before the Warships arrive.  But at least there's more substantial and tangible progress now.  There's a home for at least three of them here and may be all five - who knows?

Archived