The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

BIRTHDAYS AND DATE OF BIRTH

bbishop

There was an article in the Guardian a fortnight ago about personal data being acquired in order to set up mobile phone accounts. Pretty scary, because there are now web sites which will print an acceptable looking utility bill. And mobile phone shops are so desperate for business that they barely carry out checks.

So why do many of us help the fraudsters by giving out our birthdays and location on the web? Including this site! If you were to click on my profile, you will find a vague location but no other personal details.

I have my own security measures. My mobile phone is carried for emergencies and for listening to The Archers on the hoof; I rarely use the web for financial transactions, and then with a low limit second credit card; and I never give out personal details over the phone.

Should birthdays and date of birth be removed from the profile information? Maybe we just need an age range?

Bill

(date of birth 29.02.1921)

Bill

(date of birth 29.02.1921)

Very good Bill, 1921 wasn't a leap year.

I never divulge my date of birth on the web unless completing official documents that require it. Even then I am super cautious about phishing :-)

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Problem is many online sites software for ordering goods makes a lot of you wouldn't chose to give out info' compulsory. So if you want to purchase online you have to enter details you'd prefer not to. This appears to me to be info' harvesting for potential resale.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

I have no problem with my birthday being known on this and other similar sites. I do not, and do not intend to, include the year of my birth specifically to eliminate the chance of a full theft of my identity and details. It's always heartening to receive birthday wishes (sometimes from people I don't even know which goes to show they have read my profile) but you would take a stab at the year and statistically be unlikely to get it right in the first ten guesses.

We should be rightly wary of internet fraud and of those who trawl web sites to harvest personal details. That may or may not take place on RMweb (and I would be surprised if it never did) btu is probably rife on the social networking sites. We should not lose sight of our own identity and person in that.

My full name is known to barely a handful of members here yet I chose to freely advertise my preferred abbreviation of the given name which is how I am known. Cold callers and mail-droppers using the full version of that name invariably give themselves away by doing so. When completing forms with information which might be sold on for marketing purposes I mis-spell the name or address by one character. Not so much that a response doesn't reach me but by keeping a note of the unique mis-spelling used I can trace back any junk mail to the source. I have elicited more than one grovelling apology (and a modest cash settlement on one occasion in lieu of further action) from parties who "promise" the details will not be re-used and are only kept for their own reference. It's hard to have furniture delivered without leaving a name and address but when you then receive an invitation to join a local sports club with the same mis-spelt details it's a bit of a giveaway.

Remember the maxim that "What goes on the web stays on the web" and take care of your personal details. But there's no need to hide in a dark corner.

Problem is many online sites software for ordering goods makes a lot of you wouldn't chose to give out  info' compulsory. So if you want to purchase online you have to enter details you'd prefer not to. This appears to me to be info' harvesting for potential resale.

Rob

Far too many sites harvest information and many do it without even asking. Ever wondered what goes in all those cookies and why javacript is running strange programs on YOUR PC without telling you precisely why and what they are doing? There is no reason at all for anyone to know your date of birth on the internet and any site that does so will be well avoided. My date of birth is is in my passport, in a chip on my security pass, and on my driving license. My bank(s) have a photocopy of my passport for "money laundering legislation" but still can't spell my name correctly! Online where the DoB is a genuine part of the security access I use a most memorable date, which works fine for all my needs. I don't mind revealing my age but without sight of my passport you have no idea if it is correct (I'm 18 BTW and get one day older evry 24hrs ;) ). What does it matter anyway?

[Ed.] and just remembered my close family know my DoB .... or at least they think they do :D

When completing forms with information which might be sold on for marketing purposes I mis-spell the name or address by one character. Not so much that a response doesn't reach me but by keeping a note of the unique mis-spelling used I can trace back any junk mail to the source. I have elicited more than one grovelling apology (and a modest cash settlement on one occasion in lieu of further action) from parties who "promise" the details will not be re-used and are only kept for their own reference. It's hard to have furniture delivered without leaving a name and address but when you then receive an invitation to join a local sports club with the same mis-spelt details it's a bit of a giveaway.

I like it! I'd do the same myself if I could be bothered, or if I got a lot of junk. Being on the MPS does seem to have cut it down by quite a bit.

I'd rather not give any info at all - it seems somehow dishonest to give false information - laughable really, when you consider the devious activities of these businesses.

I received another e-mail from Anonymous today.

Threatening to destroy the world or something I expect.

I sent the source code of the first one through my MP to the correct quarters but obviously they are still in business.

No, I don't think they were wishing me a Happy Birthday (I didn't actually read it) but it's loosely connected to the OP's thread.

• RMweb Premium

ID here in Oz is typically your driver's licence. If you don't have one there are other options available to obtain a photo-ID proof of age card. If you still can't manage anything there can be problems when you are asked to prove your ID or age. UK hasn't gone the route of compulsory photo ID being carried and long may it continue to hold out against that as a requirement. But for those with nothing to hide there is no harm in holding a new-style driver's licence or a similar card to prove who and how old you are.

Archived