Links to Market Place

I'm starting to have a clear out of bits and bobs that may be of use to others and thought I'd give the Market Place a go. Looked under forums and there are 'wanted' and 'free to a good home' sections, but no apparent mention of a selling area. After a few minutes, I remembered it was called RMWeb Market Place and found it via Google.

Unless I've missed it, there seems to be no direct link to the Market Place from RMWeb itself. If that is so, is that a policy or just something that is still to be installed after the server relocation?

• RMweb Gold
Unless I've missed it, there seems to be no direct link to the Market Place from RMWeb itself.

Hi Gordon,

Isn't that where you get to by clicking this big logo on the front page?

dfa60d01b15448ea8191822e9ba7890e.jpg

It links to: http://www.rmweb.co....es&folder=&id=6

You can also get there from any page by clicking the Quick Navigation button (to the right of "View New Content") and then Pages > Marketplace.

p.s. at present it is producing this SQL Warning on the new server:

Warning: Unknown: 12 result set(s) not freed. Use mysql_free_result to free result sets which were requested using mysql_query() in Unknown on line 0

so it may be worth giving it a miss until Andy has got round to fixing that.

Martin.

Warning: Unknown: 12 result set(s) not freed. Use mysql_free_result to free result sets which were requested using mysql_query() in Unknown on line 0

Work is underway to resolve that after it was switched onto one of the other boxes yesterday.

Hi Gordon,

Isn't that where you get to by clicking this big logo on the front page?

dfa60d01b15448ea8191822e9ba7890e.jpg

It links to: http://www.rmweb.co....es&folder=&id=6

You can also get there from any page by clicking the Quick Navigation button (to the right of "View New Content") and then Pages > Marketplace.

Martin.

That's the problem Martin, I can't see the big logo you refer to. I use the VNC button and my system is set up to go direct to that page. Surely there should be something in the light blue bar at the top of each forum page?

Nevertheless, here's my front page and unless I'm blind, there is no big button.....

post-6950-0-81399300-1345041213_thumb.png

OK, I'm not going bonkers. It appears on my PC with IE, but not on my day to day machine, a Mac with Safari. Still think it would be a good idea to add it to the top of each page though, to generate even more visitors to the Market Place.

post-6950-0-14347300-1345041621_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold
Nevertheless, here's my front page and unless I'm blind, there is no big button.....

post-6950-0-81399300-1345041213_thumb.png

Hi Gordon,

It's further down -- scroll down to see it:

post-1103-0-65228100-1345041883.png

I agree it should probably be in the main Nav bar. I'm sure Andy has lots of such mods pending, and will be getting round to them now the server is in full working order.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
Ah - I've now found it on the forums 'front page'

Hi Mike,

Isn't that where you normally go to find things? I'm getting confused.

However, if you are not on the front page, you can get to the Marketplace from any other page via the Quick Navigation button:

post-1103-0-96154400-1345043102_thumb.png

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Isn't that where you normally go to find things? I'm getting confused.

However, if you are not on the front page, you can get to the Marketplace from any other page via the Quick Navigation button:

post-1103-0-96154400-1345043102_thumb.png

Martin.

Thanks Martin and no I don't necessarily look at that front page all the time apart from clicking on VNC when it first opens - I very rarely scroll down it as VNC takes me to posts and threads I'm interested in and I get advices when PMs arrive so very little need to ever page down there and otherwise I might click on things at the top of the page.

I could no doubt find Marketplace when I wanted to (and thanks for another place to look) but it doesn't normally appear before me in the way I normally use the site.

Can't disagree Martin, but I didn't know it was there and I'm guessing a lot of others wouldn't. If it were more prominent, it might catch my attention and I would wander over to see if there was anything on offer. I bought several things via RMWeb when you advertised sale items via a normal posting. When it changed to The Market Place, I went once or twice, but then forgot about it. My first thought this morning was to go with eBay, but then I remembered TMP, so thought I'd use that instead.

Not being able to easily find it was certainly a hurdle and I accept, that may be down to a Mac/Safari, but with 1,000's of members any continually visible reminder is a huge benefit to increase passing traffic.

I'm sure we are both agreeing, but you have to know what you are looking for first and then having to make three clicks via search and pages is only a short term fix and not an ideal solution.

• RMweb Gold
I'm sure we are both agreeing

I'm sure we are Gordon, but you have to give Andy time to get his breath back from the server move. He is probably as aware as anyone of all the deficiencies in the RMweb user interface, and now that the server is in fine fettle he can think about doing something about them. Bear in mind though that the IPB software is a pig to work with -- what might take 5 minutes to change on YMR is a day's work on IPB.

regards,

Martin.

Bear in mind though that the IPB software is a pig to work with -- what might take 5 minutes to change on YMR is a day's work on IPB.

30 minutes and counting to try and find the needle in a haystack to create an additional tab.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes and counting to try and find the needle in a haystack to create an additional tab.

Hi Andy,

Do you have Notepad++ (free from: http://notepad-plus-plus.org )? Apart from being a brilliant code editor, you can use it to search every file in every sub-folder in a folder. I would normally try searching for the mouseover texts, such as the "Go to Image Editor" string, on the existing tabs.

regards,

Martin.

Archived