Peak District Midland buildings

Hi there,

I've been building my layout based on the 1950's Midland Line through the Peak. I currently use the Metcalfe buildings which I really enjoyed making, but though good representaion aren't really prototypical for Bakewell so I was wondering about having a go at building something myself using Bill Hudsons plans.

I think I understand the principle of layering to build stuructures, but I guess I'm just not sure whether card or plastikard is a better material to work with. I'm tempted by card as it's cheaper and more forgiving, and I can use the scalescenes paper.

My other questions is what to do about windows. Can you get window etches or do you have to somehow make them from card?

If anyone has any general advice, or pointers, they would be gratefully received as I've got a weeks holidays to have a play!

Thanks in advance!

My personal preference is for plastic; I do not find card easier to work with or more forgiving. Largely, that is down to the benefits of plastic welding cement which doesn't work on card. I do sometimes use card for internal strengthening but then I have to use contact adhesive or slow drying glue like PVA (which is not so good with the plastic). You can indeed buy window etches or platic mouldings but then you have to be very accurate in measuring the apertures (Something I find difficult). If the windows are simple designs, it is easy to make them from plastic strip - either bought as such or cut from thin plastic sheet; strips stuck to the inside of the outer skin of your laminate make convincing frames and clear plastic stuck to the back of that as the glazing. Glazing bars can then be stuck to the outside of the "windows". As you have used Metcalfe kits, you will be familiar with how they make curtains and it is easy to make your own from coloured paper or card.

Harold.

edit: Have you read the other thread "Structures - Card or Plastic"? Lots of useful exchanges on that.

If you want to build Midland buildings from the Peak District have you thought of looking at a book that covers the area, ie " Through Limestone Hills "

I believe a second print run has been done of the book. Bill Hudson should be able to help with a copy if it is available.

Be aware of the price though the first print run it was £20.00

It has plenty of drawings and pictures and you should find something suitable to model.

• 4 weeks later...

Bills book really is excellant, I am in the process of making Blackwell mill cottages for my own layout working from his drawings, It also includes several drawings for the buildings at Bakewell Including the main station, which incidently I started making for my previous (now scrapped) layout

It's in Plastikard and it's only really in its early stages but if it's of any use to you your welcome to it. Although it's quite large as I was making it to scale.

Speaking of Plastikard, Slaters do all the correct types of embossed plastic if your into the Midland region. they also do a range of super little lost wax cast building details like water fall pipes, chimneys, ect (not cheap mind but superb quality)

Archived