Farish 6-pin decoder - DC operation

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I have had a search in the forum for the answer to this but couldn't find one; if it's out there a link to it would be great.

I have treated myself to the Farish 'Digital Commuter' set containing a class 24 with DCC on-board; I've found that it doesn't operate on DC and that is backed up elsewhere on the forum. Is there any setting that I can change so that the chip will function on DC? At present I only have an EZ-command controller but have access to more sophisticated units if CVs need changed.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for that answer Nigel; I was afraid that would be the case. I had a look at the technical info on Bachmann's website and it suggests that some chips can have the relevant CV reset but there's not enough info to know if that's what's on this one. Seems an odd idea in not allowing it on their N-gauge chips whereas it's standard on the 00. I've emailed Bachmann about the blanking plates as there wasn't one with the set and there's no sign of any on their site too.

Again, thanks for the answer.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi again,

Thanks for that answer Nigel; I was afraid that would be the case. I had a look at the technical info on Bachmann's website and it suggests that some chips can have the relevant CV reset but there's not enough info to know if that's what's on this one. Seems an odd idea in not allowing it on their N-gauge chips whereas it's standard on the 00. I've emailed Bachmann about the blanking plates as there wasn't one with the set and there's no sign of any on their site too.

Bachmann don't design their chips. They buy designs from other firms, no doubt price and willingness to sell are a factor in the decision on what to re-package. The UK market OO ones are antique ESU LokPilot Version 1 (the ESU ones are now at Version 4). The N gauge decoder is a Soundtraxx motor only decoder.

If you read far enough into Bachmann's documents on their website, then it is possible to find that the 6-pin can't do DC running. But it takes detective work, connecting together statements and working out which Soundtraxx decoder Bachmann have re-packaged.

Control of DC running is in CV29, this is standard for all decoders of all makers, assuming the decoder supports DC running.

Blanking plate - ask a model shop which does a lot of installations, they've probably got a bucket full of them. You can make your own with a few bits of stiff wire and a small bit of PCB. Thin double-sided PCB is the simpler as its not necessary to create any tracks on the PCB, two pins on one side and four on the other to connect the relevant pins together.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again folks,

Thanks again for the advice and information. I called a few of the model shops I know and none of them had the blanking plugs so I have managed to get one direct from Bachmann. I downloaded the technical specs from their site and found myself with over eighty pages of details most of which I didn't understand. I'll probably just run my N gauge as DC and keep the chips to use with adapters in some of my 00 (these won't be expected to run on non-DCC layouts).

Once more, thanks for the ideas and insight.

Regards,

Alex.

Archived