Magazines in 1977

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Further to a conversation with a friend about the possibility of a small project set in 1977 (a year of significance to us for a number of reasons) I am hoping to do some research the 'old-fashioned' way. However, as I was only ten at the time could anyone tell me what magazines were around then. My interest is strictly UK prototype.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Thanks for those. I've been offered a loan of Railway World for 1977; if it turns out to be helpful then I will track one down via some of the dealers. As for the other magazines, 'llI have a chat with a few folk at some of the forthcoming shows and see what I can buy.

Again, thanks for the help.

Regards,

Alex.

Old copies of 'Railway Magazine' from the period are fairly easy to come by and often quite cheap, especially the old A5 format ones, which went up to at least 1981 before going A4 size.

Be interested to hear why '77 was / is so significant for you Alex....! (it is for me too, viz the last few Westerns going out in a blaze of railtour related glory ;) ).

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

The main reasons for 1977 are to do with significant events in my family, however it was also around that time that I developed an interest in railways.

Thanks for the additional info on the magazine; from memory it doesn't 'ring any bells' as I seem to remember all the mags I saw as being around A4 sized.

Thanks again for the interest and info.

Regards,

Alex.

Railway Magazine changed from small format (post quarto?) to medium (quarto?) during 1963, before adopting a larger format (A4) in the 'eighties. Railway World was of similar size.

Many preserved lines often have complete year sets of both magazines from around that time for a couple of pounds.

Had Modern Railways Pictorial started by then or was it at a bit later date?

The first issue of MRP appeared in 1979... and if memory serves (my collection is stashed away somewhere at the mo) it didn't go monthly for quite some time.

Archived