GWR Terminus Idea

Seanem44

Yes.... It's another GWR Terminus.... but I have a reason, and goals.

I normally don't model GWR, but I have fallen in love with the new Dapol Pannier.

The challenge.... A GWR terminus with just four points in 5 feet of length which offers modest operational abilities and maybe room for two engines. The road bridge acts as a scenic break.

Very much a micro layout.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions. I plan on building this while taking my time on my GCR themed layout that you all have so kindly helped to shape.

post-13382-0-43618300-1346158668.jpg

Not a bad revision, and it keeps to my four points theme.

Could a small station be added at the North of the layout, I do want to keep that element. The platform need only be big enough to handle two, maybe three coaches. In reality, I envision two suburban coaches only. Or maybe a push pull down the road.

Maybe you are coming at this from the wrong direction in starting with the layout and trying to westernise it. Maybe look for a small GWR through station that suits your needs and adapt the scenery and concept to suit the space.

It sounds like you want short trains so a 2-coach B-set would go well with a Pannier. These were usually used in rural areas on branchlines and minor cross-country routes. Plenty of stations in that category with only 4 points (Cookham had only 3 IIRC). Blagdon was about as minimal as is possible to get with a GWR BLT.

If you want to keep the layout narrow, there were plenty of stations like Lechlade which had the goods shed and loop a bit down from the station rather than parallel to it. Have a look here.

http://www.vanguardpublications.co.uk/Lechlade.htm

Lechdale was what my first idea in my first post was loosely based on, with the good shed to the left and the line dissapearing under the bridge into the scenic break.

The loop under the station and extra siding for cattle was pure creative liscense, but if it is not remotely similiar to a GWR terminus I would not want to keep it.

I guess if you're talking about the Dapol pannier you're in N gauge. 5ft is plenty of space to do what you want in this scale. My GWR shunting plank is 4'6" by 1' yet can accommodate two coaches + van easily. In fact the run round loop will easily take 3 coaches, its the fiddle yard that limits it. To maximise space in the fiddle yard I;ve done for a cassette idea - so I could actually make the cassettes a little longer and have them overhanging. Alternatively you could omit the point at the station throat and have two tracks entering the fiddle yard.

I don't have a computer friendly track plan but maybe this photo from construction will help explain? The layout is inspired by Coombe Junction in Cornwall but it shows how you can fit a small layout in this space. The 'halt' could easily become a proper station, the siding and field at the front a simple goods yard and the clay works whatever industry you fancy. And there's even space for a little scenic development. The joys of N gauge!

post-9774-0-56865600-1346183649_thumb.jpg

Sorry I did not clarify....

Yes, N Gauge.

I thought about cassetts and sector plates, but for this one I am really trying to stick with the KISS method, the more simple, the better.

This is just a "cheap" layout I can sharpen my skills on and have fun with while I slowly work on my bigger project.

I have the points I need and plan on using foam core board for the actual layout base. This method is lightweight and will be enough to support such a small layout.

Still can't decide on a terminus or having a fiddle yard on both sides hideen by a scenic break.

Still can't decide on a terminus or having a fiddle yard on both sides hideen by a scenic break.

Ley Hill is a finescale 2mm layout you may ponder over as a terminus and it's 4' 6 long.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgolWb9oCc[/code]

Eric

Ley Hill is a finescale 2mm layout you may ponder over as a terminus and it's 4' 6 long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgolWb9oCc

Eric

Just an aside but my cassettes were very simple! I've no engineering skills so also worked on the KISS principle!

They're simply made from a strip of plywood (brought the correct width, just needed cutting to length) with Peco Setrack glue on top. At the end Peco rail joiners are soldered on so it connects like a trainset. A couple of pieces of strip wood were added to the sides for bracing.

Just an aside but my cassettes were very simple! I've no engineering skills so also worked on the KISS principle!

They're simply made from a strip of plywood (brought the correct width, just needed cutting to length) with Peco Setrack glue on top. At the end Peco rail joiners are soldered on so it connects like a trainset. A couple of pieces of strip wood were added to the sides for bracing.

How long are they? This actually sounds like an idea. I was thinking platicard and I think might havemade it harder in my mind than it should be.

Eric

Eric-really superb piece there!!

Thinking about something similar in 4mm/EM gauge at the moment as a home project and you've given me some ideas!

My sector plate is very simple too.

It's surprising how easy it was to make, even the curved 'joint' was a doddle to do. Only tricky bit was the alignment as I had to 'pack out' the bolts slightly with scrap brass or there was too much play.

I would love to attempt a sector plate. The problem is I am experimenting with a foam core base board, so i don't know if I could swing it.

I am going to have to get back to the doodle board while at work tomorrow.

Ok..... I went back to the drawing board.

I broke my 4 point rule and made it 5.

I think (though I am not certain) this might have a more GWR feel.

Simple terminus, small station with a runaround loop and small area for goods. I figure I can have a Pannier doing pannier stuff and maybe a local push pull sharing the main line.

I named the layout and station Boarrhing, an obvious play on boring, because that's really what the layout is. Simplistic and possibly dull. But, it's something to sharpen my skills on while working on the big one.

What do you think?post-13382-0-64142100-1346328559.jpg

Archived