Model shops near Ramsbottom / Bury

Black Sheep

Good evening,

I've recently moved to Ramsbottom (e-mailed the local club and spent some time on the station) and was wondering where the nearest model shops are,

I normally model in N gauge so hobby craft etc aren't much use to me as they only stock 00.

I'm also not very familiar with the area so if you're able to drop a link to the shop's website or be a bit descriptive of where it is, e.g. "on Bolton Road, just up from Morrisons" that'd help me find it on google maps

as I've just started taking a house apart, any good independent builders merchants / light fittings, decorators etc would also be useful!

Thanks.

It all depends on how far you want to travel to visit a model shop. The list can be endless.

Have a look at this site it list most shops about and then you can decide which to visit.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/

Good hunting there are some great shops about in the Greater Manchester area just take your time and try and visit them, what suits one person may not suite another.

Thanks to you both, I'll certainly check out the one at Bury once I've actually been on the train.

I'll have a look at the list John, just thinking if someone recommends one that's easy to get to then its a good place to start looking.

with regards to looking, I'm in an area that I've only visited a few times before moving here so don't really know how to get to places by road or by public transport but I'm sure I'll survive

If you use the various web sites ( Streetmap.co.uk) in conjunction with the site above and post code of the shops you should have no problems. Whenever I visit a part of the country I have not been in before I always look at the site and try and work in a visit to shops in the area, its surprising what I have come away with, what sells out in one area may be available elswhere in the country.

Nearest shops to you, The Locoshed at Besses o'th barn, Bury Old Road part of the Modelfair empire I believe, talk to Jim there he should be able to offer a Discount.

A bit further to travel Arcadia at Shaw, between Oldham and Rochdale, Tim the owner there and he will match Hattons prices.

As i said before talk to the shop owners when your in them, they want to sell and will talk, good look and as I said enjoy looking around.

There is a good model shop called The Locoshed in Besses 'o 'th Barn on the main Bury Old Road at no. 48. Its well worth a look. It's located in a parade of shops just to the south of Besses metrolink station and the M60 motorway bridges and it is on the left hand side when walking down from the tram stop. Very friendly service and lots of stock plus more as the owner does a lot of swapmeets so he may have more stock as well elsewhere so worth a look.

Cheers Paul

• 1 year later...

Re: the Locoshed, I had a recent issue with Jim.  He handled it nicely and professionally but several times in his email correspondence to me (I live in California) it seemed as if he'd lost the plot.  For instance when I emailed him to explain that the second-hand item I bought from him (which had clearly been described on his website as clean and tidy with no defects) arrived well packed but with a seriously defective part (a very obviously cracked and poorly repaired body shell), he was very quick to apologize and happy to offer to fix the situation, but he also told me I could have saved us both a lot of bother and expense if I'd only asked him to double check the item before he shipped it to me.  Huh?  I'm sorry, but why would I do that when the item had been described by him as being clean and tidy with no defects?  That's why I bought it in the first place.  It just didn't make sense.  There were other occasional odd statements in a few of his other emails but that one was the strangest.

He did write to say after I corrected him when he initially mis-verified the model I wanted to buy that "he wasn't as young as he used to be" but by the time he emailed me to confirm a replacement part was now in the post I was actually concerned about his health.  I genuinely hope the three of you who've indicated you are familiar with Jim can confirm he's doing fine, because he truly seemed like a nice fellow to whom I'd give custom to in future.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

I can't recommend Arcadia enough. Always have all the latest N releases in, and as already mentioned he'll match Hattons prices on most things, except the

really discounted stuff. Anything not in stock can be ordered in. If you go, be sure to look upstairs as thats where the majority of N stuff is, very latest releases sometimes not on display, but next to the till.

Stu

He did write to say after I corrected him when he initially mis-verified the model I wanted to buy that "he wasn't as young as he used to be" but by the time he emailed me to confirm a replacement part was now in the post I was actually concerned about his health.  I genuinely hope the three of you who've indicated you are familiar with Jim can confirm he's doing fine, because he truly seemed like a nice fellow to whom I'd give custom to in future.

Matt

I can confirm Jim to be in good health if a little forgetful, I've often gone in to collect an item I've ordered and had to remind him half way through his locating it in the shop what it is we're looking for.

I put this down to being one man trying to run a busy shop (and possibly a bit too much) with just a small band of helpers who come in every now and then to give him a day or morning off. This can cause items to be miss-placed.

I'm not sure what he does the rest of the time but you are correct, his band of helpers mind the shop during the first half of the week with Jim being in Thursday evening (late opening) and Friday and sat (if not at an exhibition)

I have also known him to be in at random points in the afternoon on other days.

Archived