Diesel Experience Days - South Devon Railway

I've just received the above as a birthday present. Awesome!

Has anyone been on one of these at the SDR, and can give me some idea of the sort of things they go through? Obviously it mentions a driver and secondman "trip up the line" but I wondered if there was anything else involved, like coupling up, etc?

I'm a bit mechanically inept...

Unless you have passed you PTS (personal track safety) exam, I wouldn't have thought you'd be required to do anything which involves going onto the ballast, such as coupling up. I reckon a good bit of cab work and maybe some driving would be more apt.

Not SDR but I've done driving days at the GWR and we were offered and supervised, coupling / uncoupling together with appropriate pipework and were encouraged to work the ground frame for the loco run around. Excellent instruction, non-intrusive and robust supervision = very enjoyable day out.

Give them a call and I'm sure they let you know what the day holds in store. Good luck and enjoy.

Unless you have passed you PTS (personal track safety) exam, I wouldn't have thought you'd be required to do anything which involves going onto the ballast, such as coupling up. I reckon a good bit of cab work and maybe some driving would be more apt.

Should be ok with going onto ballast as you are under supervision from the Crew.

Archived