One More GWR Question........

Was there any special features in the way a loco crew dressed in the late Victorian - Edwardian era?

Regards,

Stefan

At some point, probably up to the 1890s, drivers often wore white fustian jackets. White! Sometimes they also had a sort of peaked cap but your best bet is to look at as many photos as you can find.

Whatever you do, avoid the blue boiler suit/dungarees and grease-top cap...

Somewhere (on Mikkel's blog IIRC) we had an interesting discussion on this topic a year or two ago. One thing to note from photos is the tendency for GWR drivers of this period to only fasten the top button of their jackets, whereas fireman invariably fastened all buttons.

Nick

ps. I see Mickey agrees (I was looking for suitable photos on the web but haven't found one yet).

At some point, probably up to the 1890s, drivers often wore white fustian jackets. White! Sometimes they also had a sort of peaked cap but your best bet is to look at as many photos as you can find.

The refernece to Fustian is interesting. Of all of the natural fabrics I understand that Linen (part of the make up of Fustian) is the most naturally resistrant material to dirt so in the days before synthetic materials it may not have been that crazy.

Archived