N7's in Lincolnshire

Simon Moore

It's that time again where i hand over to the parish of RmWeb for some assistance in researching locomotives.

I've started to read Iain Rice's book on white metal loco construction & already it's hit home with a few questions. Originally i was planning on doing my N7 as one of the push pull models that roamed around Leeds but i've changed my direction that i want to take with my north eastern flavour.

I've got Iain Rice's first book, Finescale trackplans for small spaces & there's a plan in the book i have set my mind to as a long term project. After a recent trip to see friends in Lincoln i really liked the textures & structures of the area & i think that it would be a interesting area to model & something totally different to i've always done.

A a result of this thought i think it is time i start researching a prototype to model my N7 around. From what i can gather Lincoln shed had an allocation of these locos & i would like to get some numbers to research a model to build.

Looking at the fantastic castings i have in my Se Finecast box it covers a number of variants & rather than just slap a few casting together i want to make sure that mine is correct to what i am building & therefore once again i need the help of people in the know.

As well as the numbers can anyone shed any light on the sort of workings the locos did out of Lincoln, & the kind of stock they would have run with so i can possibly research those too for future builds.

Cheers,

Simon

69694, 69712/6/14 were at Boston 1948-50 on local passenger turns to Lincoln, Horncastle and Skegness and goods trips to Louth Alford, Sleaford and Spilsby. One of them was allocated to Louth where it worked the Mablethorpe branch passenger turns.

69672/4/5 were at Lincoln for goods turns to Horncastle. 69694 was also used on the Lincoln - Shirebrook - Chesterfield passenger turns for a period.

IIRC the SE kit can built for N7/GE and N7/4 locos and N7/1 and N7/5 with little modification, unfortunately all the above were N7/2 and N7/3 locos which had considerable differences (round rear windows, arched backs to the bunkers etc.) so unless you're a confident kitbasher you may have to resort to a little bit of modeller's licence.

OK - the nearest to Lincoln I can get is 69651 which was at Annesley in Notts from Dec 1951 to Sept 56. This was originally a N7/1 loco converted to a round-topped boiler N7/5 in Dec 1945, having lost its condensing gear in 1937. At Annesley was used on push -pull services (don't know which set it used) and so was stripped of the Westinghouse brake and fitted with a steam brake and vacuum ejector along with p/p vacuum equipment.

Thank you Adrian for the help there at least it is a start & gives me details of what i am looking for. I'm going to use the Flickr site & Google to try & find some images of 69651. If that is the nearest loco to my prototype it will do & as you say a bit of modeler license ;)

Simon

Archived