Jump to content
 

DJH 03 better type of pick up required


Guest 838rapid

Recommended Posts

Guest 838rapid

I have a factory built model with the factory fitted pick ups on wheel tops.

 

This worked fine under DC but after fitting DCC sound (lok3.5)to the loco it runs a bit hit and miss.

 

Have altered CV13 to 6 but it still grinds to a halt.

 

Has any one fitted better pick ups and cured the issues on this model.

 

Please help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest 838rapid

Its a shame I cant retro fit the chassis from my class 04 onto it.

 

Scrap its maybe a bit harsh,but its a poor runner at the moment.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest 838rapid

When the wheels are over clean almost polished it runs fine,which shows the chip etc is fine.

 

Its under normal running that a slight bit of Wheel tread dirt causes the loco to stop.

 

I notice the Bachman 04 picks up with plungers from behind the wheel and seems to work fine.

 

Is it possible to fit simular wheel pick ups to a class 03 chassis?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the pick-ups on your 03 are like other pick-ups i have seen on DJH factory built models, then they will be wipers acting on the top of the tyre rather than the back, and therefore are very susceptible to dirt. If you liked your pick-ups on your 04 you can buy them from http://www.finescalebrass.co.uk/components.htm I have some in stock and think they look very good but have yet to fit them to anything, to see how well they actually work.

 

J.P.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest 838rapid

I went to Telford Today.

 

Really good day spent loads but back on topic,I picked some Plunger Pickups from Meteor Models.

 

So its off to the drawing board now to get this loco running better.

 

Thanks for your help guys

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its under normal running that a slight bit of Wheel tread dirt causes the loco to stop.

 

Trying very hard not to be facetious, but, clean the wheels and pickups as well as the track (and if you are using plastic wheels on any of your stock - replace their wheels)

 

As stated above if it worked well on DC it should work better on DCC (or so the theory goes)

 

Generally plunger pickups are more sensitive to dirt than phosphor bronze wire/strip.

 

Another thing worth checking is that the connections on the decoder harness (the ones you changed going from working DC to troublesome DCC) are in good electrical order (no dry solder (high resistance) joints.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest 838rapid

Trying very hard not to be facetious, but, clean the wheels and pickups as well as the track (and if you are using plastic wheels on any of your stock - replace their wheels)

 

As stated above if it worked well on DC it should work better on DCC (or so the theory goes)

 

Generally plunger pickups are more sensitive to dirt than phosphor bronze wire/strip.

 

Another thing worth checking is that the connections on the decoder harness (the ones you changed going from working DC to troublesome DCC) are in good electrical order (no dry solder (high resistance) joints.

 

No Worries Kenton.

 

I had it running on my layout but seemed to be a bit bit and miss.

 

Having lent it to a friend,who sent it back to me as it is running like a dog.

 

After recleaning the wheel treads and pic ups,as well as is possible,it seems to not want to run properly still.

 

I tried to alter the pick ups to try and gain a better area of pick up but it just seems a poor running loco.

 

Will try extra weight also as a option to see if that improves it,perhaps with the body off and use some lead weights.

 

The soldering looks fine,nice clean joints.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...