The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone on here suffer with Crohns

Guest 838rapid

Guest 838rapid

Hi Guys.

I am suffering really bad at the moment with mine.

Everything I eat is making things worse.

Any advice appreciatted.

Replies via PM are cool with me.

If it's a bad outbreak make an appointment with your GP/Hospital contact ASAP.

I didn't suffer from Crohns, but had very severe Colitis some years back which I suffered with for a year (aided by various combinations of pills), before one particularly bad outbreak damn near killed me - by the time I eventually went to see the quack about it I was in an ambulance within the hour, en route to Edinburgh for emergency surgery.

Guest 838rapid

I saw the Consultant about 6 weeks ago,Have recently had a MRI scan on my intestines and am off for a endoscopy on monday,which I aint looking forward too..

I was rushed into Hospital in June and have been told by the Consultant that he is 99% certain its Crohns,It runs in the family.

You have my sympathies - it's a real sod of thing medically, they're not really sure what causes it and there's not definite way to cure it (save for a hatchet job).

Quick tip: when you go for your endoscopy they'll offer a sedative - take it!

The first time I had one done, the Doc in charge talked me into remaining compus for the procedure so that he could show me the 'problem' live on screen and thus give me a better understanding of what was going on. Needless to say it wasn't a pleasant experience, and if I hadn't been 'plugged in' at the time I would have swung for him!

• RMweb Gold

Pain relief is so sophisticated now that you can be concious but have no pain. Apparently being concious helps as you can cooperate when they want you to move. I had a conversation about cloud computing with one of the doctors during my last endoscopy. I know some people took the option of being totally out for the procedure. I remember vividly the first one. The hospital had just got their first endoscope and the pain relief consisted of a nurse holding your hand and if it really hurts try some "gas and air". Definitely prefer the modern technique.

Guest 838rapid

I was offered the works in sedation or gas and air for the sigometry,with Gas and air it was bearable.

I know this might sound odd but I am fed up with having injections and stuff like that,they put 2 canulars in during the MRI which I was not fussed about..

I have quite a high pain threshold,so am considering gas and air again.

The views last time were quite interesting to me,even when they removed a polyp it was strange watching them working inside me.

However I dont feel quite so enthusiastic this time..

I have crohns and was first diagnosed about 10 years ago. Presently I am on 6 x 400mg Mesalazine tablets a day which is keeping it under control. My last flare-up was about 3 years ago and the hospital Consultant prescribed a 9 week course of steroids in quite a high dose. This calmed things down. My GP only prescribed 8 or 9 day courses of steroids previously, which were not really enough.

Presently, I can eat most things but tend to avoid anything spicey. Initially I started on a recommended diet, but roughage is necessary.

I am imminently due for a colonscapy. Previously I have been given a full anesthetic (North Hampshire Hospital). The worst part is the preparation for the proceedure which requires the drinking of 8 pints of "cleansing agent" over an 8 hour period.

My problem is related mainly to the colon area not the stomach or intestines.

Stress can be a trigger for flare-ups, and in my case also for the start of the condition. I am now retired and this reduces stress levels.

Rememer the condition can be controlled with medication, although surgery is an option.

Best of luck, you are not alone.

Terry

Guest 838rapid

Time for a update guys.

On Sunday I commenced drinking Klean Prep at 2pm as instructed.

Foul doesnt sum up just what I thought of it.

I managed to break the hoover belt whilst trying to avoid thinking of food.

I decided to cook some chicken thighs that I defrosted,I can resist the urge.

Downton abbey was on tv and the urge was to great.. Whoops.

Still off I went to the Hosepital on the Monday Morning,Glad to be getting it out the way.

Handed my letter to the receptionist with a Smile,she asked me to take a seat a moment...

Can you guess what happened next??

"Sorry Sir,this appointment is for next Monday"

So I was sent packing with 4 new sachets of Klean Prep,Oh the joy..

Must keep smiling.

I'm sorry to hear that. I know that the kllen prep is foul, although I did add a little flavour in the form of a cordial. It still tastes foul. Twice in a week is almost untenable.

My Colonoscopy is on the afternoon of Wednesday the 6th October. I have a preperation called Picolax this time, it will probably taste foul!!!

I wiil attempt to send you a copy of the diet that I was given when in hospital 10 years ago.

Terrt

• RMweb Gold

Mum (88) has either Crohns or Ulcerative colitis, tests are still progressing, the latest using radioactive tracers, but the nurse practitioner at her hospital had a good chat with both of us yesterday and gave her a very useful booklet on diet, especially during flare ups. So today we did some shopping paying careful attention to the additives in foods, especially preservatives and seaweed extracts (carrageenan) which can cause problems - the latter even in some people with "normal" digestion. "Trans" fats should also be avoided during flare ups, also brassicas, and perhaps peas and beans. Her steroid medication has also been increased in the short term and another medication added (cannot remember which) to take over from steroids in the longer term.

She also explained some of my intermittent symptoms, as apparently it may be partly genetic and I have problems with some foods causing that type of symptom from time to time. So I now have my finger crossed...

DespiteMum's problems she still gets out and about for walks most days, plays bridge with her friends, takes photographs and modifies them with her PC and does a of of needlework, so she still has a life.

She says a lot of it depends on attitude of mind and will power on bad days!

David

Guest 838rapid

Hi Terry.

Had the works done,Colonoscopy.

They went in with Camera,took a few terminal lleum biopsys.

Was quite interesting watching the screen again,the air they blew in was uncomfortable at stages,however I choose not to have any sedation..

So I guess the pain was my own fault.

The prep stuff they gave me didnt do as good a job as they expected.. Perhaps the week before would have been a better option in hindsight.

They didnt find anymore polyps which was good.

They had me on my left hand side to start with,and eventually I was laid on my back.

I understand I am being refered back to the initial Gastroenterologist,so I shall await a follow up letter.

Turned down the biscuit with my cuppa afterwards as I treated myself to a Bacon,Sausage,Egg and Tomatoe Sandwich on way home.

Adie

Archived