serching topics on rmweb

dana

how does one search for topics on rmweb other then reposting the same topic over and over again that previous posters have posted .

I do hit the load more topics in the section im serching info for but if you cant see the info then how does one serch be for reposting same question that may have been posted before ?

Alternatively, use Google and put 'rmweb' at the end - for example, 'ballasting rmweb'. For all I know it's exactly the same as using the on-site Google that Gordon mentions but I just seem to get better results via Google itself.

You do sometimes need to perform multiple searches to get the info you want, and/or search using not the most obvious term. So if you wanted to know about parcel coaches, a search on 'parcel' (or 'parcel rmweb' :yes: ) would provide some results, but so would 'full brake', 'BG', 'GUV', and so on. In the same way that you might have to look through multiple books to find all the relevant info, so looking through multiple threads is typically required.

Thank you to all who replied Trisonic , Gordon S and Dave777. . Spent hours recently trying to find the search button and couldnt find it . Thanks to your help guys i now know where it is on this forum . Maybe pin this and lockit so the advice is not lost , MODS your thoughts ?

To add one small detail to Dave777's post.....

If you search directly from Google, you can restrict results explicitly to RMWeb as follows:

search term or terms site:rmweb.co.uk

The syntax above is what Google uses internally when you click the "See more results from this site..." link.

I find this more effective on many sites, especially forums, where quite often the minimum length the search term is restricted, often to 4 or more characters. This is a pain where you're looking for initials, abbreviations or acronyms which are frequently only two or 3 characters.

You can also make the search terms explicit by placing them inside a pair of quotes, eg; "Mary had a little lamb". This will result in only that phrase being matched rather than all or most of the words, often useful for finding a specific post if you can remember the phrase.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Archived