switches for signals

warren lodge

I have recently completed 2 MSE model signals,but am not sure which switches to use and what tags to wire them to to make them operate.The solenoid is an MSE product,but at the moment,all my efforts seem to result in the signal arm vibrating,and the solenoid being very noisey,and help would be very much appreciated.My layout is DC

Many thanks Warren

I think it depends on which of the MSE solenoids you have. One is a latching type which requires a double-pole, double-throw, center-off switch (probably best if sprung to the center-off position) wired as a reverser. This type should not be supplied with continuous current. The other type consumes continuous current to keep it in one position and returns to the other position when there is no current supply. It requires a single-pole, single-throw switch.

Wiring instructions for both types are shown on the Model Signal Engineering website, have you been there?

Solenoids can be noisy if fed from AC. Are you using a DC supply or AC for the signals? (It doesn't matter whether train power is DC or DCC.)

• 2 weeks later...

I

I think it depends on which of the MSE solenoids you have. One is a latching type which requires a double-pole, double-throw, center-off switch (probably best if sprung to the center-off position) wired as a reverser. This type should not be supplied with continuous current. The other type consumes continuous current to keep it in one position and returns to the other position when there is no current supply. It requires a single-pole, single-throw switch.

Wiring instructions for both types are shown on the Model Signal Engineering website, have you been there?

Solenoids can be noisy if fed from AC. Are you using a DC supply or AC for the signals? (It doesn't matter whether train power is DC or DCC.)

At a guess, your DC supply is just rectified AC without any smoothing, so that the waveform is a collection of half-sine wave bumps rather than a straight line. If that's the case, putting a suitable electrolytic capacitor across the supply should quieten things down. Say, 220 microFarads @ 35 volts working. However, this would probably increase the effective voltage beyond 12v, so then a voltage regulator might be needed, or at least a series resistor, to protect the solenoid from overheating.

But this is all just guesses because I don't have one of these MSE devices, so you should take it with a grain of salt.

What did MSE say when you asked them?

Archived