The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Double standards

Tim Hale

Just stopped outside the most disreputable rural eyesore of a house that I have ever seen. Scrap cars in the garden and a mattress returning to nature draped across several gaudy but weather beaten plastic toys.

Atop this pile of detritus was a banner which stated:

'Stop the 220-acre solar sun farm'

Now, I don't want to start a discussion about climate change but the juxtaposition of utter junk amongst the beauty of our local landscape and a banner pleading for our support to prevent a ecologically right-on facility seems odd.

If the banner had been outside a pristine chocolate-box cottage, I could see the argument but this could only be an improvement - in fact I would have supported a banner calling for the person who owned the foul cottage to be removed from our community and replaced with a solar-farm.

Tim

Perhaps the home owners are masters of irony?

Doesn't sound like any scrap metal dealership I know. There are a couple of unfortunate eye sores around the village here but they tend to have semi-derelict cars piled in their front "gardens". Of course getting such waste material to the dump recycling tip costs a lot of money these days. If it can't be placed in the correct bag/bin it will not form part of roadside collection and anything larger is contracted out and charged heavily for. If the owners of the property in question are on limited means they will have difficulty in paying for its collection and disposal.

Just stopped outside the most disreputable rural eyesore of a house that I have ever seen. Scrap cars in the garden and a mattress returning to nature draped across several gaudy but weather beaten plastic toys.

Atop this pile of detritus was a banner which stated:

'Stop the 220-acre solar sun farm'

Now, I don't want to start a discussion about climate change but the juxtaposition of utter junk amongst the beauty of our local landscape and a banner pleading for our support to prevent a ecologically right-on facility seems odd.

If the banner had been outside a pristine chocolate-box cottage, I could see the argument but this could only be an improvement - in fact I would have supported a banner calling for the person who owned the foul cottage to be removed from our community and replaced with a solar-farm.

Tim

You would surely hate to take a ride around some of the rural housing areas we have mate . It is a standing joke about red necks and hillbillies to have a yard full of rusting cars on blocks and a porch full of old fridges and couches LMAO !!!!

When dealing with the general public in all their stupid glory you do wonder how the male found the correct orifice on the female to ever reproduce?

Mind you, the same people probably a)couldn't tell you how big an acre is and b ) think irony is something ferrous.

• RMweb Gold

When dealing with the general public in all their stupid glory you do wonder how the male found the correct orifice on the female to ever reproduce?

Mind you, the same people probably a)couldn't tell you how big an acre is and B) think irony is something ferrous.

Well I thought eugenics were people who wanted Princess Eugenie to get a job!

Regards

Richard

Mickey,

There's a fair amount of truth in that. Unfortunately my one time home is now full of "white settlers" (as they're known) who have overpriced the locals out of the market. You wouldn't mind so much if those concerned actually lived there and worked the place to some degree (I talk about crofts), as opposed to thinking they're holidaying in some kind of living museum and thereby objecting to any kind of modernistic improvement to the area.

Archived