Bachmann DCC Fitted N Class

70E

What decoder does this loco have? Advice here on Bach's decoder product specs once you know which one you have. http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/service/dug.php

First thing to check for abrupt getaway is CV2, start voltage : set it at the minimum value specified on the decoder poop sheet. And test. Alter CV2 in reponse to result until the loco just starts reliably on speed step 1.

In my very limited experience of 'DCC fitted' locos - precisely two - the value in CV2 was set way higher than it needed to be; my guess would be that the manufacturer wants to ensure that it indisputably runs the moment it gets speed step 1, and trusts that those wanting a touch of refinement will make the necessary adjustment themselves.

I am not too familiar with what decoder you have onboard.......If the value range for CV3 is 1 to 63...the default is about 8.

Set it to about 40 and see how that looks....that will certainly slow down the acceleration.......

Similarly try CV4, deceleration at about a value of 20.

Hope that helps.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

My N class too displays a remarkable turn of foot on getaway, I have tried messing around a bit with the CVs and tamed the beast a little. I am not sure what type of decoder it is other than it is a 6pin. My intention is to replace it with a Lenz 6 pin at some stage. Ironically when the loco has gone past that initial leap out of the blocks acceleration and deceleration are superbly controlled.

So it will be Bach's 6 pin unit 36-558. http://www.Bachmann....pdfs/36-558.pdf

This has a heap of user selectable speed curves in CV25, try a couple of the exponential curves instead of the default setting of 'linear'.

CV2 is set at minimum output as supplied according to the poop sheet.

Also CV's 3 and 4 are set at zero, no delay in acceleration and slowing. Put at least 30 in both of these, that should temper things a little.

Archived