Arizona Rock and Mineral

Has anyone used this company and ordered scenic products from them like ballast?

I know I'm ancient and possibly senile but their website confuses me - all I want to find out right now is a listing of their current product line and a description of each item.

I know that they do a comprehensive selection of ballasts based on location and company (mostly Western USA/Canada) they do other stuff too but it's a mystery to me........ :drag:

Website is at: rrscenery.com

Cheers, Pete.

My local hobby shop, The Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena, does maintain stock from them. They'll do mail order, but you may need to work something out to make it worth everyone's while. (626) 796-7791 However, there's nothing holy about their product. They name their colors after prototype railroads, it's true (and I'm partial to their Conrail Northeast color, which tends to match stone that came off the ex-DL&W Gladstone branch quarry), but any manufacturer's grays, etc, will do fine -- you're best off looking at the prototype no matter what. The only ballast I don't use is Woodland Scenics, because it's made from ground walnut shells and isn't easy to fasten with water-based glue.

John,

What are the other ballasts you'd recommend (with website if possible). I'm looking for BNSF around Phoenix area......my local stores only seem to stock Woodland Scenics.......

Thanks, Jack, too - remind me to avoid the Arch-Bishop's car will you?

Cheers, Pete.

Here's the color I'm used to for BNSF:

post-8839-0-83759600-1350243683.jpg

You might be best off getting to a well-stocked hobby shop and seeing what they have. The closest Arizona Rock & Mineral color is what they call D&RG, which is redder. You can see it under the GP7 in this shot:

post-8839-0-06796600-1350244025_thumb.jpg

It's a volcanic sort of rock color that I believe has been used by ATSF, and also by some roads in the Oregon area. I found this at the Walthers site http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/350-123 but I wouldn't trust something you see on the web without getting a good look first. Another option, which I also use, is to go looking in parking lots and so forth for anything that looks useful and straining it through a piece of panty hose.

Actually I have placed two orders with them in the last month. Their website is not the most user friendly. Actually their ordering system isn't the most user friendly either.

You probably went to this website:

http://rrscenery.com/wordpress/

Select the Order tab, then Order Online. That brings you to :

http://rrscenery.com/Cart/

That site has pictures of the rock, price lists and ordering info. Its still kinda clunky. I couldn't figure out how to pay for it on line. I ordered, then they sent me an e-mail where I could pay for it using Paypal or I had to call them within 48 hours of recieving their order to give them a payment method. They don't mention it, but shipping on a 6 bag minimum order to Nebraska is about $9.11 (you are shipping bags of sand).

You might want to just phone in an order.

You might want to use some sort of "pink lady" ballast that uses red granite or they offer a Santa Fe mauve ballast. Since the BNSF in the SW is the ASTF, that would probably be the stuff.

I ordered a couple different colors and then picked the color I liked the best on my layout, different lighting will yeild different results.

Archived