The Christmas trainset to a model railway project?

18B

hi,

Dave777 thread on building the £100 layout has been truely fantastic, I;ve enjoyed reading it and only disapointed that I joined the party well after it was winding down.

What with Christmas around the corner a lot of young (and not so young) boys may getting a trainset for christmas, if we discount the cost of the set as a gift from a loved one, the challenge is what can you build for next to nothing for it? i.e. you've got the set, now lets see it turned into a model railway?

• RMweb Gold

I think what made Dave's thread and layout so impressive was that he'd done it all first, before posting, so kept the momentum and suspense going.

By inviting others to have a go, even though it's a reasonable challenge, sort of defeats the original idea.

I dont think it's enough of a difference from £100.... the step change would be at £150 or £200. Even £200 could be a challenge if you aim it high enough.

Indeed, which is why the second part of the post morphed into, take a trainset, a typical christmas gift and turn it into a model railway, i.e. for how little can you turn a trainset into a model?

a good set will obviously include a controller, track and train, may be even a few odd extra things, so it could prove interesting and a fair bit of variety.

how about a set list of items, collectively costing a certain agreed amount, and everyone has to make a layout using only those items.

i.e. one cannot use anything else except tools and things which have not been purchased specifically for the challenge (everyone presumably has enough random bits of card/plastic/wire/paint tins etc to make scenic items for the layout).

or a budget for each category of layout items: i.e. spend a maximum of GBP50 on locos, GBP50 on rolling stock, GBP50 on track etc etc. with the above restrictions.

edit: actually, re-reading, I think this is more or less what the OP has in mind, with a train set, no?

What impressed me about Dave777's layout challenge was the fact that he even made it within target.

I am finding with even a simple 4x1 diorama type "layout" that I'm exceeding that total already and have only purchased wood, glue, a few items of scenicery, and track.

Although I like challenges I do think they have to be within reach.

Time is always the biggest challenge, and linked closely to that actually finishing! And Dave777 deserves credit for that above all IMO.

Having read the above, i'm thinking, a lot of people will be getting a boxed trainset for christmas and the challenge is to turn that into a model without it costing a fortune, how much as a a target one would like to put on that is open to debate, £50 is mentioned above?

For example someone receiving the Hornby Midnight Freight set, http://www.ehattons.com/24021/Hornby_Model_Railways_R1083_Midnight_Freight_complete_train_set/StockDetail.aspx

Would have the basis for a small model railway, But how much more would it cost to turn it into an acceptable layout.

Set contains:

• Hornby Class 47 diesel locomotive in Riviera trains blue livery
  • 5 wagons namely R6255 RMC tank wagon,R6085 Ore mineral wagon in BR brown,R6178 VEA wagon "Silcock",R6161 21ton mineral wagon in BR brown,X4852 (H735) GWR conflat wagon with container
  • Goods yard crane
  • Track starter oval and Track Pack A
  • Wall plug transformer
  • Train controller
  • Power track
  • TrakMat

and of course this set, http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/774_1_105116390.html could almost have been designed in conjunction with dave777 's layou in mind.

• Bachmann class 25 diesel locomotive in BR blue livery
  • two of the new Mk.2 coaches in the matching blue/grey livery.
  • Bachmann EZ-Command DCC controller
  • oval of track measuring 1300mm x 990mm (51 in x 39in)
  • a point allowing a siding to be added.

But a model railway is so much more than just a train set.

A train set gives you track, a loco and some stock to run behind it, and, if lucky, a controller to operate it with.

The model railways requires a track plan and a plan of how that track plan sits within a railway scene. To make that scene usually requires some shaping of landscape, (cuttings, embankments, bridges, tunnels, etc) buildings (station, signal box, goods shed, engine shed, water tower, townscape ... perhaps) the ground cover (ballast, earth, grass, water, rocks ...) then all those detailing bits from the passengers on a platform along with their luggage, loco crew, road vehicles and any number of other small (and hopefully subtle) items. All that is before you start to paint and weather the whole lot.

Anyone who has built a model railway will know that the cost of these small items is far in excess of what is paid for the train set, not as a single purchase but it all rapidly mounts up.

Back on the subject of time, I firmly believe that is what prevents the train set evolving into a model railway. Building the boards, laying the track and wiring is only the first phase that makes the box of items into a fully running train set. At which point, I am among many who simply sit back and enjoy the operating trains. However there is still a lot of work and expense to be covered to get from there to the full displayable model railway.

But a model railway is so much more than just a train set.

indeed, and that's the point, for just how little can that next step be taken? Well over half of Dave777 £100 went on the loco, stock, track and controller, "if" it may be said that the basic trainset covers those essentials, how much does it take to turn that into a (basic) model railway? To be fair, one would probably want a couple of extra rolling stock items and points?

But basically the challenge could be, take one trainset and produce something presentable for £50 of additional purchases?

The trouble is that it's already been done and would be a difficult act to follow, and probably rather pointless. You would be better off using another parameter other than price - time, scale, limited types of loco or stock, etc. Even then it would probably pale in the face of what Dave has done because he's done it already, and you're simply changing the tune.

It's probably better not to invite a competition but see what you can do under the same or similar conditions or constraints using his wisdom to your benefit.

Mind you, it would be fun to see what could be done in O gauge...

To add variety and imagination, how about building a layout using the unused components, kits, scenic materials etc you have laying around, plus a financial limit for buying any extras?

I've been thinking of that, I've been pickingup bits at swapmeets and model shows for the last 15 years, all to no avail,

I've edited the OP, it seemed to go quite poorly,

the question now is: What with Christmas around the corner a lot of young (and not so young) boys may getting a trainset for christmas, if we discount the cost of the set as a gift from a loved one, the challenge is what can you build for next to nothing for it? i.e. you've got the set, now lets see it turned into a model railway

I'm all for these sorts of challenges ( can't fit one in at the moment though ), but to me, the important aspect is that the challenger also has a go themselves :)

Indeed, and it may get me off my preverbial and finish little turnton, which was essentially the Bachman Class 150 set, and what that came with. Only additional materials were some scatters and a couple of buildings.

Archived