What other liveries appeared alongside Mainline Freight?

Hi,

I recently accquired a Hornby Mainline Class 60. Looking up on wikipedia I found out that Loadhaul, Transrail, NSE and I think Intercity Swallow were the other liveries that were running on the British Rail network at that time. However what other various liveries did the Class 87 and 90 wear during these times(be it freighter or passenger).? I want to model a layout towards the end of Loadhaul, Mainline etc term. Anyone with suggestions? I would also like to run a few 67's as well. So even an early EWS period would be good.

I think your best bet is to find a piccie site, book or secondhand mag bundle for the time period required. My "bible" is a 1999 Platform 5 combined spotter's book. All the numbers all the liveries.

I stand to be corrected but your Mk1 sleepers were razorblades long before the time.

C6T.

This period is one I am quite fond of, as my primary school was bordered by the WCM when these liveries were running. From my recollections, at least half the locos in service were carrying the older style liveries (Trainload, Railfreight Distribution, Rail Express Systems etc). In the late 90's a lot of locos carried their older liveries with the large EWS loco applied on the side, which should probably be easy to model.

Most locos would have still been in sector liveries (Intercity, NSE, Regional Railways, Rail Express Systems, Railfreight Distribution), and many of the three trainload freight companies fleets still carried older triple-grey or "Dutch" liveries. And there were still a few "Banger Blue" locos around.

Mainline livery lasted into the early years of privatisation as well; the locos passed into the hands of EWS but didn't all get repainted overnight. So you can run a Mainline blue 60 alongside EWS and Virgin liveried locos.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I recently accquired a Hornby Mainline Class 60. Looking up on wikipedia I found out that Loadhaul, Transrail, NSE and I think Intercity Swallow were the other liveries that were running on the British Rail network at that time. However what other various liveries did the Class 87 and 90 wear during these times(be it freighter or passenger).? I want to model a layout towards the end of Loadhaul, Mainline etc term. Anyone with suggestions? I would also like to run a few 67's as well. So even an early EWS period would be good.

Loadhaul Transrail and Mainline were not BR liveries as such (compared to InterCity, NSE, RFD, RES) - rather a product of the Governments origional idea of spliting the trainload freight division of BR into three seperate shadow companies (destorying the old BR set up of trainload metals, trainload coal, etc in the process). Of the three Transrail went for the simplest option, that being reatining two tone grey / 'dutch' livery and adding a new logo which ment that by the time all three were sold to EWS, there were more Transrail branded locos out and about thant either Mainline or Loadhaul. This may have been influenced by the decision of Mainline and Loadhaul to develop comtletley new liveries and therefore there was less of a desire to add vinyl logos (although they did happen) as a repainting programme could have been expected had things developed differently.

Deathwatch, that isn't right. The large EWS vinyls over older companies appeared in 2005.

For your 87 I'd suggest mainly virgin livery, for the 90s RES, RFD.

Having done a little more research, it appears you are right. Incidentally, I saw a 92 with a large vinyl going past Lancaster University last year, are DBShenker ever going to repaint the 92 fleet?

• RMweb Premium

Or invest in some Mk3 sleepers which would mostly have been in IC livery at that time. Not sure when the last white roof "Charter" stock vanished but that offers an option to run a selection of elderly Mk1 day coaches (mostly first class and dining) along with the sleepers in a striking variation of the livery not seen (yet) in RtR releases.

Or invest in some Mk3 sleepers which would mostly have been in IC livery at that time. Not sure when the last white roof "Charter" stock vanished but that offers an option to run a selection of elderly Mk1 day coaches (mostly first class and dining) along with the sleepers in a striking variation of the livery not seen (yet) in RtR releases.

I actually want a rake of 5 MK3 Sleepers in Intercity livery and 2 Hornby Mk1 Brake, 3 Second Open, 1 Buffet and 2 First Class coaches in BR Crimson and Cream for a charter. My Mk1 Sleepers I recieved as a gift. I only collect Hornby coaches because they would be excellent for detailing projects.

Archived