Blackpool Electrification.

While taking the kids to Blackpool yesterday, I noticed several over-bridges seemed to have work ongoing on them. The start of the above electrification scheme on the ground perhaps? This presumably means track rationalising and re-signalling is likely in the next couple of years. I’ve long pondered the ‘odd’ track layout at Kirkham station with the anything but ’fast’ lines. Are these likely to survive? Although we did use one (slowly) on the return! Will the Fleetwood branch junction at Poulton survive the bean-counters? Any RM Webbers out there know the answers? Thanks for looking. Kev.

I understand there are no weekend services at all to Blackpool after 4 November (last day of the illuminations) until the end of January.

First phase of work is I believe just gauge clearance for the wires (mostly bridges) and no trackwork changes are involved yet...

The Fleetwood line (what remains as far as Burn Naze) is officially 'Mothballed' and not closed, so the junction should remain unless/until that status is changed...

Archived