Fares Fair - of random fare anomalies

I know with any complex system there will be an occasional anomaly that means this sort of thing occurs.

I need to travel to work by train a couple of days this week, and one of the journies involves coming back from a different station so I was paying a bit more attention than usual whilst looked up the journey times on thetrainline.

For my journey Thames Ditton>Egham (&return) there are two routes, the restricted via Weybridge (£13.10 return) or the 'any permited' which will allow via Weybridge or via Clapham Junction (£13.10 return) I already knew of this slight anomaly where the restricted fare was the same price as any permited, but what I hadn't noticed was that the single fares are also a bit odd.

There is a differential price based on direction of travel, so that Egham>Thames Ditton is, under certain circumstances, cheaper than making the journey in the oposite direction, so by buying anytime single Thames Ditton>Egham (£6.90) and an anytime single Egham > Thames Ditton (£5.90) it works out cheaper than a return!

But the strangest part about the whole thing - that Egham > Thames Ditton @£5.90 fare is the 'any permited' version but the 'via Weybridge' restriction is actually MORE expensive at £6.90.

All a bit random really! My brother had a rather odd situation when National Rail in London became part of the Mayor's zonal fare scheme, in that Thames Ditton-Vauxhall suddenly dropped in price, to the point that a weekly season was actually more expensive than 5x peak returns, although I believe thats now been corrected.

Not exactly earth shattering savings, but the chance of depriving SWT of even 30p just makes me smile.

Jon

but the chance of depriving SWT of even 30p just makes me smile.

Jon

Oy pack it in, thats my payrise that is! :nono:

Seriously though,

There are hundreds of examples where it is more expensive to travel in one direction rather than the other, its usually to do with peak hour fares being higher than fares in the opposite (ie quieter) direction.

Archived