Under the Bed 00 Gauge Layout?

Haarken83

Help! I am a newcomer to railway modeling having received my first train set (Hornby's Blue Highlander) last Christmas, I am now getting harassed by SWMBO that I don't "play" with it enough, a fair point but we don't have anywhere where I can set it up permanently in it's current guise, plus the charms of the little blue loco chasing it's own tail soon wore off. So rather than admitting defeat, I decided that I better do something about it, I've had a good look around the house and after discussions with SWMBO there is only one place where a layout can be practically stored, that would be under our bed, my half of the bed.

So the space i have available is pretty small, but hopefully big enough for an end to end shelf layout. Now I've measured the space and I've got just over 6 x 2', not a great deal but having had a look around the various railway boards it seems as though you can get some rather nice layouts in small spaces. Now having considered it for a while I've kind of settled on having two 6 x 1' boards to give me a run of 12', there may also be room for a small fiddle yard too.

Now I have found a plan that I like for the first board but it will be a bit tight for space http://www.freetrackplans.com/0108-Branch-Line-Terminus.php does anyone have any ideas on how I could compress this on to a 6 x 1 board and still have room for scenery, secondly any ideas for the second board, ideally I would like something that wasn't just single track leading from the station. Ideally I am intending to run this in late crest / early diesel era, if possible with reference to my local area (Durham). Any ideas/concepts would be warmly received, the only thing I can't change is the space I've got and the use of the Hornby track (lest I incur the wrath of SWMBO).

Thanks,

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

By loosing the platform between the loop and the bay you could fit the line in. If you were to do this you could then add in the platform at the rear of the bay. You might also want to put a crossing in to allow access from the loop to the bay.

• RMweb Premium

Just to make it a little clearer this is what I was thinking off.

The green box is the platform and the red box is a goods shed.

I don't have a Hornby track set on my planning software so have used Peco set track so you would need to make sure that it fits as the geometry of the points are a little different from memory.

post-163-0-04530900-1351618720_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply Kris, seeing it laid out like that demonstrates how tight the whole layout would be, not much room for scenery or detailing. I may have to see if I can beg a little more room from somewhere or I might just need to accept a 6 x 2 layout.

What about something like this?

i.e. chop the 6' by 2' irregularly. This gives you a wider area at the end of the layout to fit a good shed, sidings, etc. There is also prototype for a turntable as runaround.

The other part of the layout can be a scenic fiddle yard, fan of sidings, countryside or I have shown two track that could then vary in height with perhaps one climbing to cross the other. This allows you to run two or even three different trains entering and leaving.

post-16793-0-36540300-1351775999_thumb.jpg

Splitting 12ft exactly 50/50 probably isn't needed as you would be able to get a longer train in the fiddle yard than 'on scene'. If you budget 5' for the fiddle then have the throat on the remaining 1' you will have more room to manoveur. You could even curve the scenics slightly so the fiddle yard is partially obscured and gain a bit more space there too.

While this does not answer Haarken83's question, it does concern jon_1066 (Hastings?;-)):

Now you have done it - I thought I had a pretty good thought of where my tracks would go on my 2 x 6 plank. Now you show me that I can actually have a turntable! Luckily I had not glued the track down, and now I just need to procure a turntable. Change, change, change :dancer: :D Genius, man! Thanks! Good thing I came here, and did not even know I needed advice! Oy!

Jimmy

what about the other dimension, i.e. 'up'? :)

have you got enough space to have the boards stacked on top of each other, when under the bed? you could leave the buildings loose, and store them somewhere else, while having some supports to put in their place to hold the board above, for example the fiddle yard.

you could have four 6x1 foot boards if they will fit!

Can I offer you another balternative? Take a look at the Peco Setrack OO/HO planbook by Paul LunnOpen the back cover and look at plan29 - Milford Haven Docks - which just by chance is designed to fit 6'x2'

4 turnouts and a few pieces of track won't break the bank, and it will give you plenty of fun moving wagons around in a relatively small space. Hope it helps The hornb small radius track matches Peco Setrack

Archived