Airfix land rover kits

timppl

Hi all

I have some of the old airfix 4mm scale land rover lwb kits. I could just build them as static models, but I have the idea that I would like to convert one ( or more ) into a RailRover ( see picture ). Has anyone any suggestions on how to motorise it?

post-12210-0-32405800-1351956910.jpg

Thanks

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at the Bachmann USA Track Maintenance Vehicles - they are small jeeps, vans etc on motor bogies. No doubt available from several stockists but the first I found were at Hattons

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000517/1000591/1000680/0/Bachmann_USA_HO_Gauge_1_87th_scale_Track_maintenance_vehicles/prodlist.aspx

Mike

Hi all

I have some of the old airfix 4mm scale land rover lwb kits. I could just build them as static models, but I have the idea that I would like to convert one ( or more ) into a RailRover ( see picture ). Has anyone any suggestions on how to motorise it?

post-12210-0-32405800-1351956910.jpg

Thanks

Tim

Just to ask, which Airfix kit Landie are you talking about. Is it the one out of the Bristol Bloodhound Rocket kit cause that is a series 1 short wheelbase one (although a series 2 on the box lid!!!). and your pic is of a series 2 long wheelbase kit. A later road/rail version had road wheels and a set of rail wheels on hydraulic frames front and rear, similar to the modern Mercedes Unimogs that Notwork Rail have today. I may have photos somewhere or you can search Pathe Newsreel for the 'Roadrail Landrover'.

Sorry to be pedantic but you've got to get the Landie right.... Just check out my avatar. :senile:

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks.

Guest stuartp

Dave's right, and to add to that none of the Airfix 1:76 kits look much like a Landy. The Bloodhound kit Series 1 isn't terrible, but the current ex-BW JB Models kit is the Landrover equivalent of the Lima Deltic - you can kind of see what they were getting at but they missed by a mile. (Which is odd because the rest of that range was superb - especially the Bedford 4 tonner and the 101 Landrover). Oxford Diecast / Hornby do a very nice 1:76 Series 1in long and short wheelbases, and Cararama do (did ?) a gorgeous Series 3 which wouldn't take a lot of backdating to a Series 2 (different grill and headlights basically). Mine is 1:72, not sure if they did one in 1:76.

The wheelbase of the one in your pic is 109" which might help if you're measuring up Bachmann Jeeps. (9' 1", or 36.3mm in 4mm scale). The Cararama one is 38mm wheelbase. The Series 1 longwheelbase is 107" (8'11", 35.6mm)

One of the 2mm chaps on here might be able to point you towards some suitable gears if you go down the DIY self-propelled route. This one looks like the nearest of the Bachmann vehicles judging by hattons' ruler (33mm ?):

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

Thanks for all the replies, lots of food for thought there. BTW as a correction to my original post, when I checked on the box I found then are not airfix but JB models kits, the ser 3 lwb with sankey trailer. Have owned a landrover for the last 20 years I think the green oval ought to have some presence on my ( as yet unbuilt ) railway :-)

Regards

Tim

Guest stuartp

My apologies to BW Models - I meant the JB ones ! Airfix re-released them but they're the same kits as far as I'm aware.

The basic dimensions aren't bad but the wheelarch shapes need work as does the front end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, Interesting reading the topic on Land rovers converted to rail use.

I've managed to get one working in EM using parts from Nigel Lawton 009. Initially was Cad drawn then 2D drawings produced for the assembly.

The chassis is made up of 6 separated milled brass items together with fine spring steel pickups.

It utilizes 7mm N gauge wheels re-spaced on 1.5mm axles to suit EM back to back standards.

The primary drive to the lay-shaft is via belt drive then secondary drive is done using Tenshodo worm &pinion gears.

The motor is 9v 6mm diam coreless.

It has 4 wheel drive as per the prototype.

As can be seen from the photo the Landrover is pretty diminutive up against a J94 Tank Loco (Airfix kit,bespoke compensated chassis).

Anyone who was at Expo EM Bracknell last weekend may have seen it running well on the test track.

The finished item is only an amalgam of N Gauge/009 technology adapted into a larger scale as such.

Why did I do it...a challenge of course!!

I am now planning another miniature chassis for the N brass Wickham type 27 Ganger's trolley...hopefully with the mech underfloor! 

post-21096-0-72952300-1400781941.jpg

post-21096-0-84127300-1400781958_thumb.jpg

post-21096-0-64786800-1400781976_thumb.jpg

post-21096-0-85076700-1400782034_thumb.jpg

post-21096-0-69584700-1400782140.jpg

post-21096-0-02854300-1400782349_thumb.jpg

post-21096-0-15086200-1400782698_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Well Done I want one, have you got a train to Landrovers for it to pull?

The Q

Rough collies

"The best 4 by paws By far"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived