Dunstable North Station

wilks

I am looking at creating a model based on Dunstable North Station - I know this has been done before.

I have collected quite a few books and photographs but would like to obtain photos or plans of the following :

• the station building - was it a GNR or LNWR design?
  • the goods shed which appears to be a wooden construction - LNWR design?
  • the 1930 gas works

The station had a turntable which appeared to be a luxury for such a small station where most of the passenger trains were worked by tank engines but the thing that intrigues me is that in all the photos I have there is no water tank or crane, which I find surprising as trains terminated here.

Any information greatfully appreciated.

Paul Wilkinson

I am looking at creating a model based on Dunstable North Station - I know this has been done before.

I have collected quite a few books and photographs but would like to obtain photos or plans of the following :

• the station building - was it a GNR or LNWR design?
  • the goods shed which appears to be a wooden construction - LNWR design?
  • the 1930 gas works

The station had a turntable which appeared to be a luxury for such a small station where most of the passenger trains were worked by tank engines but the thing that intrigues me is that in all the photos I have there is no water tank or crane, which I find surprising as trains terminated here.

Any information greatfully appreciated.

Paul Wilkinson

A Great Northern Railway 2 chain survey dated 1898 covers almost the whole of the LNWR station. A copy is held at the National Archives at Kew under reference RAIL236/479.

A Great Northern Railway 2 chain survey dated 1898 covers almost the whole of the LNWR station. A copy is held at the National Archives at Kew under reference RAIL236/479.

Andy - Thanks for the Kew reference

Wilks

As fellow Dunstable man, I would love to see a re creation of Dunstable north station,

All the information you need is here :- http://www.disused-s...rth/index.shtml

LNWR design,

& I used to be able to see the duck bridge from my house :(

Anthony

Anthony

Thanks for the link, a very useful site, with some great photos - but never quite the angle or view you need to complete the picture.

I only have one photo of the "roadside" of the station building, and no close up of the good shed - which looks timber clad to me in th photo's I do have rather than brick - any views on this?

By "duck" bridge do you mean the A5 Watling Street which passed under the railway to the east of the station?

Cheers

Wilks

Anthony

Thanks for the link, a very useful site, with some great photos - but never quite the angle or view you need to complete the picture.

I only have one photo of the "roadside" of the station building, and no close up of the good shed - which looks timber clad to me in th photo's I do have rather than brick - any views on this?

By "duck" bridge do you mean the A5 Watling Street which passed under the railway to the east of the station?

Cheers

Wilks

Hi,

I remember some certain books at my local library with photos of 'Bedfordshire lines' title of the book maybe ? Will check my shop tomorrow for any local photos of the line.

And yes I do, not local by the sounds of it ?

Ant

Hi,

I remember some certain books at my local library with photos of 'Bedfordshire lines' title of the book maybe ? Will check my shop tomorrow for any local photos of the line.

And yes I do, not local by the sounds of it ?

Ant

Ant

I have the Branch Line to Dunstable Middleton Press book on the line, the The Dunstable Branch by Bill Simpson and various photos from a couple of books held in the Dunstable library. Whilst there had a look through local history books but nothing showed the front of the station or the goods shed.

I am at the early planning stage and will have to employ a bit of modellers licence to fit the space I have. I may not be able to include the "duck bridge" as I need to create a scenic break where the line will run off into a fiddle yard.

No I am not local.

Paul

• 2 months later...

The now disbanded Dunstable MRC , of which I was a junior :O member built a model of this station to scale in 4mm finescale ,which was never completed,stored for a few years  and finally broken up around 1993,it was a very large model

,Aerial photos were obtained from aerofilms, and a track plan,can not remember where from now.

The goods shed model building was timber clad,all structures and turntable were scratchbuilt and may still exist!!

Have looked at this site

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw023858

Shows images from nearby, can not find this station though

There was a book called Steaming through bedfordshire which had some pics

see also..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36259&start=25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/8214061549/

• 3 weeks later...

The now disbanded Dunstable MRC , of which I was a junior :O member built a model of this station to scale in 4mm finescale ,which was never completed,stored for a few years  and finally broken up around 1993,it was a very large model

,Aerial photos were obtained from aerofilms, and a track plan,can not remember where from now.

The goods shed model building was timber clad,all structures and turntable were scratchbuilt and may still exist!!

Have looked at this site

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw023858

Shows images from nearby, can not find this station though

There was a book called Steaming through bedfordshire which had some pics

see also..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36259&start=25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/8214061549/

Tim

Thanks for the information. I made a trip to the Luton library and now have a post war (post 1957) 1:2500 OS plan. The track plan corresponds with the photos in the Dunstable Branch (Lamplight) and Branch line to Dunstable (Middleton Press) books. Steaming into Bedfordshire also has some useful photos, but the front of the station and the goods shed remain elusive.

The National Gas archive have sent me some wonderful photos of the gas tower under construction in 1937 - the tall building at the western end.

So how far have I got - a model of the model :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/gallery/album_2593/gallery_3429_2593_810425.jpg

Hopefully you can see this image - if you can't I need help posting an image.

The layout is designed to fit along two walls at home, operated and viewed from the inside. Each arm is about 10 foot long with fiddle yards (not modelled). The track plan is drawn in TRAX - (I couldn't get Templot to work for me). It will be 4mm scale EM gauge. My desirable ruling curvature is 912mm - to fit the space available. This does mean a longer and sharper bend through the station than the prototype.

The left end is the GN from Luton. I have bought the line from the Houghton Regis cement works up to the station and connects to the loop at the single slip to add interest.

The nearest cream foam block is the station - an N7 with a box van and Gresley twin set is standing in the station (balsa wood blocks).

A 4F stands in the Leighton Buzzard bay platform. Wagons stand in the goods yard beyond. I have had to drop the siding that was parallel to the bay track, and compress others. The goods shed is a gestimate.

The two large buildings are part of the gas works - the tower was substantial and dominated the area, most of the other structures were small in comparsion, and the railway was on an embankment. I can only fit in one coal siding serving the gas works.

The class 31 (Brush Type 2) is standing at the Brewers Hill crossing next to the 1957 built type 4 signal box.

I have allowed for spur off to the turntable - but this may be difficult to get right as it is another board to fit in the inside corner. Watling Street is causing me problems - the railway should go over it but I am having problems designing a scenic break. I have allowed space at the Luton end for Watling Street to go over the top, but jarrs with me abit.

That it so far. Views welcomed.

Wilks

• 1 month later...

I have now looked at the Watling Street end and think it will be possible to take the road under the railway but will need to strengthen the board in this area. I will have to design a suitable bland scenic break for either end.

I now have purchased a Super D and and an Ivatt 2-6-2tank, both Bachmann and both need converting to EM. These will form the mainstay of motive power for trains from Leighton Buzzard.

I have been doing some curvature tests especially the bay platform and checking point positions. The toe of the curved point to the bay  is very close to the baseboard joint.

Wilks

Archived