Reading (Southern) mid-'80s

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Back in the mid-80s I used to visit relatives in Lower Earley, on the ex-SR line out of Reading. I remember travelling on a number of different EMU types while there but have no notes or recollections as to what types/classes, in part due to not being particularly interested in them at the time. Can anyone give me a fair idea of what I may have been travelling on and possibly where they may have been destined?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

There might have been some CIGs, too, I suspect. All electric trains would normally have been headed for Waterloo via Richmond, aka the Windsor Lines. Some trains may have attached portions at Ascot or Staines. You might also have seen DMMUs heading across country to Guildford, Redhill and Tonbridge.

Yep, as one who regularly drove that line, all the main line units except REP and TC worked to Reading Southern. MMMUs were usually the traditional main line type Gatwick units (forget the class type) with the occasional Metro Cam or WR set for good measure.

It was very rare to see a 2EPB or 4EPB unit on a Reading service, and 4SUB almost unheard of in my days.

A dig into a 1985 freight working timetable shows precious little

Northfleet to/from Theale - cement

Ripple Lane to/from Earley - oil

Westbury to Allington - stone

As for the DMMUs mentioned elsewhere these were Gloucester Class 119 but I am aware that occasionally a Pressed Steel Class 117 was used from Reading to Tonbridge. The Metro Cam Class 101 were around in 1988.

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Sorry for the delay in responding to all your helpful suggestions. I have searched online for a few of the units you mention with the 4-VEP and 4-CIG units looking very much like those I remember. At the time I was more interested in the locomotives that I saw passing through Reading (from memory mostly classes 47 and 50, with the occasional 33) and the 37s that I occasionally saw on oil traffic to the depot at Earley. It's only since I passed 40 that I have taken an interest in multiple units, and now wish I had paid more attentions at the time.

Again, many thanks for all your time and help.

Regards,

Alex.

Archived