GWR speedo drive

If this is for your Saint, Wills/SEF have one in their Castle kit that can be supplied as a spare. I suggest checking prototype photographs for the loco you are modelling as not all the Saints received speedos and the GWR experimented with different types/shapes depending on your period.

email details

E-mail Info@sefinecast.co.uk

Mike Wiltshire

Yea I've got a few pictures but I can't seem to find many of Saint David in the final few years! I got a nice one but its of the fireman side an cant see the speedo! I will keep searching an I will email sef thanks I didn't think to do that!

Cheers Neil

There are several pictures of Saint David towards the end of her career in Volumes 2 and 3a of the 'North and West Route' by John Hodge. They are all taken between 1951 and 1953, showing both sides of the loco, and she didn't have a speedo fitted.

• RMweb Gold

Saint David was not fitted in final years

http://www.miac.org.uk/saints.htm

Mike Wiltshire

Very interesting pictures there - the one dated as Worcester Works on 28.5.52 clearly show the loco hasn't got a speedo but other locos in the Class equally clearly had them as can be seen in the pics of 2932 and 2938. I wonder what the criteria was for fitting them to (or removing them from) the various series of 'Saints'?

Archived