Ebay Query - Item Sold

ianwales

Hi all

I sold an item on ebay on the 27th October and sent an invoice along with a follow up on 1st November, had a reply back on the 3rd Nov saying his father was in hospital and he(the father) would sort out payment when he came home, I have heard nothing since and I have tried to contact the buyer on the 10th but no reply, how much longer should I reasonably wait before I make a 2nd chance offer to the 2nd highest bidder, I would hate to offer it on and payment comes through from the original bidder a day or 2 later, on the other hand maybe the original bidder no longer wants the item.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I would be sending a message advising that they have 48 hours to get the payment to yourself or that they will loose the model. You also need to be prepared to open a non payer dispute with ebay as should the 2nd chance off not be accepted then you will need to re-list. That would be an extra cost to yourself. Yes doing it this way might cause issues for the original buyer but the hospital story might just be a hoax.

Has the purchaser bought anything else since the 27th?

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at their feedback history. If they have purchased since they might have further feedback. I have found this useful a couple of times with slow payers.

Have a look at their feedback history. If they have purchased since they might have further feedback. I have found this useful a couple of times with slow payers.

Hi Kris#

Thanks for that tip, it turns out that having won my item at 0830 on the 27th he then won another identical model at 2230 the same evening which he had subsequently paid for, recieved and had positive feedback for!!! I am absolutly flabergasted,I have good mind now to leave negative feedback, the hospital story looks very much like a story to put me off.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kris#

Thanks for that tip, it turns out that having won my item at 0830 on the 27th he then won another identical model at 2230 the same evening which he had subsequently paid for, recieved and had positive feedback for!!! I am absolutly flabergasted,I have good mind now to leave negative feedback, the hospital story looks very much like a story to put me off.

Ian

Definitely give negative feedback. If he has done it to you he will do it to others. That is what the system is for.

Don

Guest Belgian

Definitely give negative feedback. If he has done it to you he will do it to others. That is what the system is for.

Don

The trouble is that you, as a seller, can't give negative feedback (although you can describe the situation, your negative comments are still recorded as positive feedback!), only the buyer can do that. E-bay makes sellers a hostage to fortune: you need to void the sale by opening a dispute through e-bay, that way the non-paying buyer is unable to post negative feedback on you and you get your fees repaid.

JE

Guest Belgian

Also on e-bay beware of bidders or buyers with 'hidden' feedback. Members are allowed to keep their detailed feedback remarks 'private'. I have just had a dispute opened against me by a 'buyer' who bought a video camera from me. I looked at his feedback, which was 100% favourable but hidden. I thought this was suspicious as he hadn't paid or contacted me in the first 48 hours, despite being a last-second bidder. The sale price was £525, around £100 less than for similar items, some of which had been sold 'for spares or parts only'.

My item was a 10 year old video camcorder which I had described as having marks commensurate with its age and use. I asked him to pay or contact me within 24 hours and said I thought that hiding his feedback might indicate he had something to hide. He rang me and said he hid his feedback so others wouldn't be able to see what he had bought, so I agreed that was OK and he paid a day later. He also said I was overcharging him for postage and wanted me to repay him £10. I agreed for the sake of trying to keep him happy and the postage cost me £6-50 more than I had received from him: my original estimate of postage was pretty well spot-on if one includes the cost of packaging.

I sent him the camcorder, which I had checked was in full working order. The following day he wrote back saying it wasn't in working order and that he couldn't get the tape he had put in it out again. He also said it had marks and scratches and wasn't in mint condition and that part of the trim had 'fallen off'. He has now opened a dispute against me and wants his money back. E-bay told me to repay him.

Beware e-bay buyers with any form of strange behaviour!

JE

I thought this was suspicious as he hadn't paid or contacted me in the first 48 hours, despite being a last-second bidder.

I have said it many times before these are totally unrelated events. Just because the bid went in in the last second DOES NOT mean the buyer was anywhere near the PC or even in the country at the time of the bid. Any bidder with any sense uses a snipe bidding system. Then wait for the invoice.

Though I have to say for that money I'd want it in the post so would make the effort to pay within 24hrs.

I have said it many times before these are totally unrelated events. Just because the bid went in in the last second DOES NOT mean the buyer was anywhere near the PC or even in the country at the time of the bid. Any bidder with any sense uses a snipe bidding system. Then wait for the invoice.

Though I have to say for that money I'd want it in the post so would make the effort to pay within 24hrs.

HI Kenton

Sorry, but now you have me confused, if I want an item I have to be at the computer to bid near the time the auction is finishing, if an item is going to finish for example while I am in work then I have to place my maximum bid sometimes a number of hours before and hope it is sufficient, are you saying there is a better way of doing things?

Ian

You need to open and unpaid item case, and the best is they get an unpaid item strike as sadly you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer. Caveat Emptor worked fine until eBay decided it would change that by giving the buyer the upper hand.

Back to OP - I would reply saying you noticed he had paid for something subsequent to buying your item so don't understand why payment to you is an issue. Give him 48 hours to respond and then do as others have suggested - non paying bidder etc. You shouldn't have to be so tolerant but I take the view that the sending of an email doesn't really cost you anything. He may be messing you around, he may just be utterly disorganised or anything else.

Guest Belgian

I was using a figure of speech here, he wasn't literally last second and I didn't get the impression it was a snipe - I should have said a last minute bidder, ie., he hadn't bid earlier, but bid in the last few minutes of the auction and wasn't outbid.

JE

Hi all

I sold an item on ebay on the 27th October and sent an invoice along with a follow up on 1st November, had a reply back on the 3rd Nov saying his father was in hospital and he(the father) would sort out payment when he came home, I have heard nothing since and I have tried to contact the buyer on the 10th but no reply, how much longer should I reasonably wait before I make a 2nd chance offer to the 2nd highest bidder, I would hate to offer it on and payment comes through from the original bidder a day or 2 later, on the other hand maybe the original bidder no longer wants the item.

Ian

Hi Ian, there are sections in ebay which allows you to resolve a problem, this also includes an option to "request the sale be cancelled, with a few reasons for this". Personally now I would offer it to the second bidder, I know it's unfortunate circumstances, but even the original buyer must see this is okay "that's if the hospital reason is true".

HI Kenton

Sorry, but now you have me confused, if I want an item I have to be at the computer to bid near the time the auction is finishing, if an item is going to finish for example while I am in work then I have to place my maximum bid sometimes a number of hours before and hope it is sufficient, are you saying there is a better way of doing things?

Ian

First the ebay bidding process itself was designed for a buyer to bid the price they are prepared to pay at any time before the end of the auction. So if an item is currently at £5 and you are prepared to pay £50 then bid £50. The ebay system will increment the bid as other interested buyers come in to the auction. You will still get the item at £5 if no one else has any interest.

Second, if you do not wish to have your maximum bid potentially exposed by incremental bidding, then use a snipe program - there are many out there (some better than others). These fire off your maximum bid held with them in the dying minutes/seconds of the auction. The same rules apply - your bid must be above the current "auction price". But now there is no opportunity for it to be incrementally increased. Of course you can still be beaten by a better snipe program or even the lunatic with a fast connection an finger on the trigger, though much less likely.

These snipe programs also have the advantage of offering other facilities like for example conditional bidding. There may be 2 or 3 of the same item up for sale. Rather than bidding on all 3 and potentially winning all 3 when you only wanted 1 you make the second two snipes conditional on not winning a previous one (they do not even have to be the same item).

Of course these snipe programs make a small charge (usually for each bid that is accepted by ebay win/lose but not for any bid that is under the auction price at the time the snipe fires) but that small charge is a pitance in the overall cost of price/postage/ebay fees).

• RMweb Gold

Kenton is spot on here. I have used a snipe programme routinely now for 3 years or so and nailed some real bargains in the process.

I've used justsnipe, you get 5 free snipes per week.

Then again should we talking about this? We are all bidding against each other!

Ian - you do seem to have had a raw deal- please update us on your dispute. I've opened several disputes when buying the kids computer games from the far East - won't touch that area of ebay now.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

These snipe programs also have the advantage of

<snipped Kentons post which I totally agree with>

and adding

allowing a maximum price to be set, so you don't feel the need to enter a bidding war. When I bid, I look at the item, look at the total (inc p&p) price I am prepared to pay and set my snipe program to that, if I get outbid so be it, I've not been drawn into paying more than I wanted.

As Neil ^^ posts, the only trouble I've had has been from the far East, where a supplier claimed to have posted an item, then when it didn't arrive, claimed to have posted another, he kept in touch and was friendly, when that didn't arrive the time period for lodging a dispute had passed ... (fortunately it was only a couple of pounds so no great shakes, but a money maker for him). I learnt a lesson, the next time an item didn't arrive I immediately opened a dispute - sorted. Aside from that I've only ever had good from eBay, but then I'm a buyer not a seller.

With a sniping program if you change your mind, whether on reflection your bid was too high or you just don't want it any more, you can adjust or cancel your bid without any record of it on ebay since the bid has not actually been placed on ebay yet!

Hi All

Thanks for your comments and help, I've opened a non payment dispute so we shall see if anything comes of that, it may turn out Ok though as I have contacted the 2nd highest bidder and it looks as if he is still interested. so we shall see after Monday.

Just one other query since there seems to be a lot of knowledge about Ebay on here, Is there any way a seller would know how much a bidder has bid. the reason I ask is that 3 or 4 times I have put in a bid and won an item but the price I pay has been exactly the top end of my bid, I just wondered if it is coincidence or can a seller artificially push the price up so the buyer pays the maximum he is willing to pay?

Ian

Archived