Modelling tools chest

AndyB

I'm trying to source a small cabinet, or chest of drawers, to hold my modelling tools and bits 'n' bobs.

I'm after something that can sit in my lounge and then be put on the dining room table and neatly contain the usual collection of files, knives, rules, glues, paint brushes....

Perhaps something like this item, which is apparently no longer in production. http://www.parkwood-arts.co.uk/html/other_products.html

As it's going to sit in the lounge SWMBO would prefer something wooden, rather than the collection of plastic tool boxes I have in the garage.

[As an aside MR had an article with a really clever design a year or so ago. Wondering if anyone makes something like that?]

Any ideas or info gratefully received.

Andy

Presumably something a little more then this - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40216357/

There is this http://www.suttontools.co.uk/rack-for-pliers-with-drawer.html

I'd have thought that Jewellers Suppliers would have something, but apart from teh Sutton Tools thing - nothing. (Suttons are in the Brum Jewellery Quarter and if they don't do it no one does.)

Good suggestions.

My only concern about the traditional toolmakers cabinet - lovely though it is - would be that the drawers may be too slim to hold a semi-complete model?, e.g. a card building. I'd also be worried that the odd glue or paint spillage would wreck the appearance of the felt and leave me feeling guilty about ruining a lovely item like this.

For those reasons I'm tempted by John's suggestion of an IKEA product, suitably varnished.

Andy

Thanks, John.

As a note IKEA don't sell these online and it'd be quite a drive to buy "in store".

So I've made a purchase of the same product from another online supplier via Amazon.

Planning on putting a carrying handle on the top, some latches on each draw to stop them sliding out.

Andy

ps, as I have a significant birthday coming up in a a year or so I may ask a cabinet maker friend to knock up a custom cabinet. He's done some lovely stuff, so....

http://kjdfurnituredesign.yolasite.com/portfolio.php

I used to have a lovely dark wood finished engineers tool chest. Loads of thin drawers for the smaller tools and a lift up lid part for larger bits. It was when polished up good as any piece of furniture.

EDIT I have seen them for sale still will try and find out where. They do not come cheap though. Check Ebay!!

Thanks, John.

Planning on putting a carrying handle on the top,

If you do you may have problems if you overload them - the joints don't take too much tension. If you do want to have handles to move it two on the sides would be better. They're designed to sit still, not move round and the joints have been designed with that in mind.

some latches on each draw to stop them sliding out.

Getting them to slide in the first place is the problem. They're quite stiff.

Thanks, John, I'll bear that in mind. It's going to be a Christmas present so be a while till I get the chance to see it myself.

In the past I've found a bit of candle wax of furniture polish can often help sort sticking drawers out.

Andy

My only concern about the traditional toolmakers cabinet - lovely though it is - would be that the drawers may be too slim to hold a semi-complete model?, e.g. a card building. I'd also be worried that the odd glue or paint spillage would wreck the appearance of the felt and leave me feeling guilty about ruining a lovely item like this.

I treated myself to one of the Chronos engineer's toolboxes a couple of months back. If it's any help, the top flap area is around 7cm high, so you might struggle to get a card building in there but a bit of rolling stock might be okay (it's fine for N gauge stock, for example).

As for wrecking the appearance, my thinking is more that if it gets a few knocks and marks on it then it all adds to the 'old bit of furniture' look of it (and the felt is on the inside so if you mark that it doesn't matter that much). The only other consideration is the weight - I've not actually transferred my kit to it yet, but even empty it's bloody heavy to lug about!

Archived