UK Railtour Coach Setup

I am modelling a Modern day Railtour on my layout, hauled by Princess Coronation 6233 "Duchess of Sutherland", however i'm not sure what coaches I need... I'm looking at some Bachmann MK1 Coaches in Maroon and Crimson and Cream, but can anyone tell me/direct me to some information on the Prototypical setup for Coaches for a railtour. Thanks for your Help :)

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/themymysteryman101

• RMweb Premium

Depending on size of layout, a possible formation would be

Loco - Private Owner Brake (support coach, a BSK, BFK or BCK) - 3 TSOs - RMB - 3 FOs - kitchen car - 2 FOs.

That's 11 coaches plus loco, so quite a lengthy train! It would still look OK with a TSO and a couple of FOs removed.

• RMweb Premium

Most rail tours are formed with the maximum number of coaches which can be accommodated allowing for route and loco power restrictions. A privately-owned loco also has a support coach for its crew and other authorised personnel which is often a former BR Mk1 BSK though other types are also in use. The formation suggested in the post above is typical though a brake vehicle is usually included at or near both ends in addition to the support coach. It also takes account of there usually being a premium dining section of the train. If that is not required by the operator then the majority of the train may be TSO coaches with one or two catering vehicles of type RMB, RU or RUO placed at about the one-third and two-thirds positions along the train. Compartment stock is not used if it can be avoided because the open layout gives much better views from the train - something which is a part of a typical railtour package but didn't matter to the workaday railway!

For modellers requiring a representative shorter formation I would go with something like this : BSK (support coach) - 2TSO - RU - FO - BCK which gives loco plus six and can be accommodated on many layouts. It would be perfectly in order for the stock to also not be in one livery and in particular the support coach may not match the livery of the rest of the train.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget generator vehicles in cooler weather - usually a modified BSK.

IIRC, fare paying passengers can't be carried in Mk1's marshalled at the end of a rake (it's fine for support coach staff though), so many of the railtour rakes passing me have a Mk2 at the end.e

As mentioned above, many rakes are mixed liveries. Not unusual to have maroon, crimson/cream, ex-Virgin, blue/cream, umber/cream in the same train. And then Tornado up front in experimental green. The whole thing looked a mess!

Also, don't forget that today's Mk1's don't have any steps/ladders to access the roof.

Cheers,

Mick

IIRC, fare paying passengers can't be carried in Mk1's marshalled at the end of a rake (it's fine for support coach staff though), so many of the railtour rakes passing me have a Mk2 at the end.e

The formations I've noticed tend to have the support (or ETH generator) brake coach at one end of the rake and an early Mk2 at the other end which provides the neccesary protection in both directions.

• RMweb Premium

Also, sometimes a diesel on the back as well (often a 47). It was something that we could have used on the Lune River Trust special this year as 46115 failed, and we had to wait in a loop with no way off the train for two hours waiting for a rescue!

As mentioned above, many rakes are mixed liveries. Not unusual to have maroon, crimson/cream, ex-Virgin, blue/cream, umber/cream in the same train. And then Tornado up front in experimental green. The whole thing looked a mess!

Also, don't forget that today's Mk1's don't have any steps/ladders to access the roof.

Cheers,

Mick

The steps were removed in the early 60s because of overhead electrification. So should not have been on Mk.1 coaches for the last 50 years. Need removing from your Bachmann coaches.

Merf.

IIRC, fare paying passengers can't be carried in Mk1's marshalled at the end of a rake (it's fine for support coach staff though), so many of the railtour rakes passing me have a Mk2 at the end.

The rule of no Mk1 at outer end of sets was revoked earlier this year. Look up any of the Dorset Coast Expresses this year and you'll see the last coach being a Mk1 TSO. The case is also true for many WCRC run railtours during 2012.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

The rule of no Mk1 at outer end of sets was revoked earlier this year. Look up any of the Dorset Coast Expresses this year and you'll see the last coach being a Mk1 TSO. The case is also true for many WCRC run railtours during 2012.

Paul

Shows how much attention I paid to the summer weekly Fellsman with WCRC stock........... Thanks for the update.

Cheers,

Mick

Ta - shows I haven't been out to shoot much this year! :blush:

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Paul

phew, thought i was going to have to buy a mk2 for the back of my hachette rake for a moment!

slightly ot but why was this thread showing on the thread list as the last post before this being glorious NSE at 20:50 today but it was posted back in 2012? not like glorious could bump it as he didnt start it?

The steps were removed in the early 60s because of overhead electrification. So should not have been on Mk.1 coaches for the last 50 years. Need removing from your Bachmann coaches.

Merf.

Add orange ole warning stripe too!

C6T.

Archived