The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

x-mini speakers (For PC's iphones etc.,).

Penlan

Recently I borrowed a projector to give a talk to do with a different hobby.

In the projector case was an 'x-mini' speaker, the unit being about 6cm in diameter. Once I realised it could be 'opened' up to reveal a concertina unit inside to help with the bass notes etc., it was brilliant. Terrific sound.

I was impressed, so I ordered the same model etc., off Ebay and it's not the same, it sounds thin compared to the original one I have. All the markings etc., seem to be the same except the Ebay one doesn't have a label underneath with a serial number on it.

Looking at all the x-mini's on Ebay, those that show the bases, none have the label on the base, yet all are x-mini's trademarked etc.,

So, two questions, is the original one I borrowed an exceptional, super quality one, or are all those on Ebay copies from an unknown source. All the packaging etc., looks kosher.

• RMweb Gold

Did you try the speaker that was with the projector with any other source or only the projector output? have you tried connecting your eBay purchase to the same source? What I'm suggesting is that the source you are trying may not have the same frequency range as the initial one that so impressed you.

Andi

Good question, the source is my laptop or PC, same music track(s), thus direct comparison.

Plug one in, listen, unplug, plug in other all done in about 10 secs.

- I listen to an internet Jazz Station programme in the background when at the laptop/PC.

(TSF - http://tunein.com/ra...azz-899-s16492/ ).

Tony_S, the Ebay one claims to be the Mk2. That's written all over the packaging. As there are slight differences in the Font sizes etc., between the two, perhaps the original (projector) one is a Mk1!

Looking at the speakers, the only other difference I can see is the original one seems to be satin in texture, the Mk2 is matt.

I dunno.

For regular listening (not monitoring) I like the C-Thru Harmon Kardon (4 mini speakers in a stack each side plus woofer under the desk) that I know is usually available from Apple stores with transparent cabs. I know that you didn't ask this but I'm telling you anyway...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Good question, the source is my laptop or PC, same music track(s), thus direct comparison.

- I listen to an internet Jazz Station programme in the background when at the laptop/PC.

(TSF - http://tunein.com/ra...azz-899-s16492/ ).

Make sure that your settings in EQ are such to allow a decent bass response, laptops can have some really horrible things done to them to try to make the sound "bigger". Hook one up to a decent (I mean big professional concert PA) system without switching those settings off and they sound truly awful.*

There seems to be a thing that will feed a portion of the left track to the right speaker and vice versa but delayed by a fraction, put this through a PA and you notice it...

*ask me how I know :derisive:

Andi

Well I've contacted a couple of suppliers on Ebay who assure me their product is original and has the label(s) and serial numbers on the speakers themselves, we have agreed a returns policy if they don't match the original one I have.... So I shall see/hear.

I've also contacted the supplier of the one I feel is inferior, trouble is how do you compare sounds/dynamics at a distance, I would have to send my friends x-mini to them as well for comparison. They have agreed an extended returns period if the latest one(s) I've sent off for are superior... So at least there is some customer relations of a sensible nature here. Probably the fear of a marked down feedback - I've always found it helpful to contact the seller first if there's a problem, though it's only happened 3 times in the last 10 years, and the result has been satisfactory to both parties.

I would still like to hear on this topic any views on the x-mini.

The next x-mini has arrived, as per this Ebay seller

http://www.ebay.co.u...75673947&_rdc=1

It has all the depth of the original one I heard, ....

so the first one I bought from this site http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

will be going back, as agreed with the seller.

As stated in one of my earlier posts,

the only visual difference between the speakers is the low quality audio sound one has a matt finish and nowhere is there evidence of a serial number,

whilst the high quality has a satin finish and a serial no. such as U0128xxx.

The Low quality has EAN Code 8 885005 250085, UPC Code 8 46801 00008 1

The High quality has EAN Code 8 885005 250092, UPC Code 8 46801 00009 8

Not sure what relevance those codes are, but.......

Right time to get on with my life....

The Low quality has EAN Code 8 885005 250085, UPC Code 8 46801 00008 1

The High quality has EAN Code 8 885005 250092, UPC Code 8 46801 00009 8

Not sure what relevance those codes are, but.......

From my limited knowledge of barcodes, the codes just show that there are two distinct versions of the same speaker, and both are made by the same manufacturer. Given that the high quality version has a higher number than the other version, it's probably a later, improved, design.

Other than that, no relevance at all :D

Edit - I've had a look at the ebay link, and they look quite interesting. Am I right in thinking they're still too big to fit inside a loco though?

Pugsley

4mm Scale, yes, to big, but 7mm could be OK,

but if you keep it together, it would likely bounce a tender or vehicle off the track.

The 100% versions I have move/bounce around on the desk.........

Archived