London's Railways in the 1960's

Just spent a most enjoyable hour watching this DVD that I picked up on Amazon. It's done in documentary style using previously unseen footage from BTF and news programmes of the time. Loads of footage of stock, buildings and odds and sods from the 60's with some wonderful colour shots for weathering on 16 tonners, conflats, TPO vehicles and so much more. It's probably 40% steam and 60% diesel with shots of 55's, 31's Warships, Westerns plus the electrics out of Euston, Liverpool Street, Fenchurch Street and Waterloo/Victoria.

A great £10 worth...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Londons-Railways-1960s-DVD/dp/B003EGD5O0

I went spotting in the late fifties and early sixties around London ,mainly Liverpool St Kings Cross sometimes Euston and Paddington.L P St was favourite ,end of platform by the turntable was best spot.Also Sratford provided a lot of enjoyable times ,seeing the freight and light loco,s coming off shed plus the electrics towards Shenfield.These electrics were great to ride on as they swayed at high speed and had a nick name of "Swingers".I think that today the same area is not an interesting place to visit although the trains are cleaner and quicker,Fenchurch St is virtualy the same and the train service as intense as in steam days. A journey to Southend last year brought back many memories of journeys in the forties and fifties fom Leyton High Rd via Barking to Sth Benfleet and onwards to S/end via the cockle sheds at Leigh.Kings Cross provided the highlights of streaks,A1,s,B1,s WD,s and that wonderful creation,a Cravens DMU.A trip on these loossened all tooth fillings as well as all the fittings in the carriage!!!We often stood on the foot bridge at Wood Green as trains were working hard up from the Cross ,all on our own and no problems,happy days.

Archived