Layout design advice please

Moorway South

Hi everybody. I have been playing around with Anyrail and come up with a design for the spare room layout. Attached is a picture of tha layout. There are essentially two loops with a couple of cross over points. In the east is a large station, which includes a passing loop on the outside, large enough to store a train. The south section will become a TMD and the east is a country station. Finally, the north has storage sidings for wagons and locos.

Can anyone forsee any problems with this layout and its operation?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

post-17044-0-83055800-1353866937_thumb.jpg

Well the first thing that jumps to mind is your platforms are WAY too short, and you are missing a platform on the country station. In 00, you need at least 5ft per platform for a decent length ( 3ft is probably the absolute bare minimum but that's really scraping the barrel)..

You have way to many cross-overs. At the top you have 3 where a single trailing cross-over would be sufficient. Also accessing the entire MPD via the TT is poor design as in doing so a TT failure blocks it all off.

Your layout is kinda upside down though - North is usually at the top of a drawing/map ;) :P.

• RMweb Premium

There are lots of facing crossovers. Whilst these could make operation easy they are avoiding (as much as possible) in the real world as they increase the likelihood of a derailment.

Thanks for the suggestions. With only 8 feet to play with, a 5 foot platform is probably a no-go, particularly as I want a through station rather than terminus. Also width is a bit limited for the counrty station area. I will definately remove some of the crossovers. Good thinking about the turntable - will redesign that section.

I also think your platforms should be longer, but what length trains are you going to run? the sidings don't have room to stock many coaches, if that would be necessary, so maybe your trains won't be that long anyway? what era and location are you going to model?

Archived