Strange track formation, why?

Katier

While browsing a 1938 map of the round oak area near brierley hill I spotted this formation which looked very strange.

any idea what the purpose of the circles at the wallows was?

Also were the engine sheds GWR or industrial?

Just south of the Wallows is also interesting.. appears to be a 90ish degree flat crossing across the GWR line and sidings.

8220567409_2b97d27c68_b.jpg

If they were making gasholders at that site, then perhaps these were crane tracks, so that they could lift fabricated parts into test-fit prior to shipping. That the tracks are not themselves connected to the outside world might point to it being a different gauge as well?

Jon

The fact that the adjacent buildings are shown with dotted edges might also indicate 'works under construction'. Certainly a proper Gas Works would need at least one holder - so I favour that explanation for the concentric circles. Perhaps a majority of water sealed low pressure holders came with a 'holder well' so that when completely empty of gas the top of the holder would be level with the ground surface.

Ray

• RMweb Premium

There is a good book on the Pensnett Railway which served this area from a very early date, but my copy is about 2000 miles away. There was a flat crossing over the GWR, and towards the end of its life it was moved to a different location. The shed belonged to the PR. Towards the end the PR was reduced to just the railways serving the Round Oak steel works, but originally there was a big network linking the iron works, the local collieries and other industries, the canal, various interchanges with the main line etc.

I'm not sure about the track circles. I have a feeling and a vague memory that the company actually built gas holders and that the circles were something to do with their construction spo were possibly not conventional railway tracks. Can anyone confirm or deny?

It's a roundy-roundy...

But seriously, jonhall sounds likely....

If they were making gasholders at that site, then perhaps these were crane tracks, so that they could lift fabricated parts into test-fit prior to shipping. That the tracks are not themselves connected to the outside world might point to it being a different gauge as well?

Jon

Archived