Wiring a diamond crossing

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

Could someone possibly show me how to wire and switch a diamond crossing, plus show where the electrical breaks should be?

Many thanks

Simon

• RMweb Gold

As Suzie says, it can be difficult - but usually not so bad as all that.

The key to it is usually (except in the case of a flat crossing like Newark or the old Retford) there will be a turnout which trains have to use the diamond. Add a DPDT switch (if you are using the likes of Tortoise they are already included) to change the polarity of the V crossings on the diamond. You will need breaks between the K crossings and the V crossings and breaks with insulated fishplates on the rails from the V crossings.

• RMweb Gold

With electrofrogs, I find it simpler to isolate the whole crossing first and then add to bus feeds to the outer rails. I switch the frogs from the pointwork that controls the route across the diamond as per this diagram...

Junction wiring 1.doc

Gordon just beat me to it with his reply and already had diagram to hand.

I would query diagram 3 - not for the wiring of the frogs and diamond but for the fact that it sets a conflicting route. Should point B not be interlocked with point A so that it can only be reversed if A is reversed?

Guest oldlugger

Many thanks all for your very helpful posts and diagrams; much appreciated as always! The crossing is actually for a small project layout that I've been working on for a few weeks; it's HOe and HOf and represents a German feldbahn / torfbahn. The track is unusual (deliberately so) and is a mixture of scratch built and ready to run with dissections (mixed gauged plain track sections with one gauge exiting the other) points and crossings. The whole lot is contained within an oval of regular narrow gauge running line. I want to see what is possible scenically and operationally on a tiny baseboard, using a Roco starter track set (heavily modified) as the basis. Needless to say the whole lot will be heavily grassed over and run down; I want to go several notches higher scenically than your average HOe layout, as found so often on the continent. I've never seen a feldbahn / torfbahn (which are fantastic subjects for models) convincingly modelled. Some photos and possibly some blurb may follow in the layouts section, but I don't think many would be interested. It's a temporary diversion from my P4 layout St. Mary Hoo. The layout is standard DC with hand operated points, so very primitive technically! Today I completed a scratch built HOf point (6.5mm gauge) which is very unusual as it only has one switch blade and no frogs; just a crossing vee. It is based on the one in this amazing short video which is well worth watching, not just for the point but the means of traction:-

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

OK, that's potentially a little more complicated. Is there a point which controls access to the line that goes across the diamond? Or do the two lines just intersect?

Manual operation of the point need not be a problem. You can put a DPDT switch into the control linkage or linked to the tiebar.

Without a point, there are still solutions. Reed switches (or infrared detectors) on the approaches could control a relay which changes the polarities and also cuts off current to the other route.

Archived